Bombard Repairs

mark 6a

Cadet
I have a Bombard 8ft. inflatable that the transom has come out of the tube pockets and the pockets have come off of
the tubes. Does any one have advice to make my repair go easier? I have access to a glue product, two part epoxies,
from an industrial source.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bombard Repairs

What year is the boat? If the glue failed in that large of a section all the glue needs to be cleaned off and replaced. It is a two part glue and I assume it is a PVC boat? Plan on a minimum of 20 hours, if not double the hours. You will also be working with Acetone, MEK, Toulene, and other nasty chemicals. Proper safety gear will be needed along with the proper temperatures at right around 70 degrees with low humidity.

mark 6a

Cadet

Thanks Peter_C. The boat is an AX2 from the late 70's/ early 80's. As far as I know it is a PVC type fabric. I did try to fix it 10 years
ago but at that time I only had two half pint containers of the glue so it was try to do it all in one go. I now have the glue available in gallon containers for half the cost of the smaller cans so I can mix and do in steps. Any help in the order to attack the job would be great.
Thanks Hugh.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

To make the repair story short, with marker mark both transom holder contours on tubes and lower transom floor fabric, dismantle both transom holders from side tubes and transom including lower transom floor fabric as well, clean all areas with proper solvent, glue back with 2 parts pvc glue and match transom holder to same exact marked position on tubes including lower floor fabric. Must flatten with a spatula like tool to remove air bubbles.

Check if floor fabric is still well glued to side lower tubes contours. If not will need to re do entire floor too. Will need adequate room temp and breathing equipment as will be working with mean chemicals. It's a complex and time demanding skilled job, not as easy as gluing a patch or handle, better take it to a repair shop for a professional repair if wanting "Long Live the Sib".

Happy Boating