Bolts vs Nuts on hubs

bobingardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Late last year I bought an EZ Loader trailer over the internet. When I took delivery I found that it used bolts to attach the wheels to the hubs instead of lug nuts. This bothered me a bit but I followed through with the purchase because I felt it was my fault for buying it without looking it over first. One drawback of using bolts became obvious when I tried to put the tires back on this weekend. It was difficult to line up the tire, so trying to change a flat on a busy highway could be a major pain. <br /><br />Are there any other problems with using bolts? Would it be worth replacing the hubs or retrofitting them with studs?

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bolts vs Nuts on hubs

Well my boat trailer uses bolts and they have been fine. I dont understand why its an issue at all, put the wheel up to the hub and insert a bolt, and so on and so forth. I personally like this setup as I have had way to many lug nuts weld themselves onto the studs, just my thoughts.<br />-John

Bondo

Staff member

I'm with you bobingardner, I Hate the Bolt style hubs.....<br />The Wheel-Centers are Too Loose to align the holes on the 1 I Had......<br />For the price of replacement hubs, Retrofit isn't all that practical...... <br />The Question of When is up to you.......... ;)

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

bob, take one of your lug bolts to NAPA, AutoZone, Advance or what ever and tell them you want to convert the hubs. Buy studs the same diameter and thread length as your present bolts. The studs are a press fit in the hubs. You may have to drill them out a little, then hammer them in from the back side. Also be sure to buy lugnuts with the same type shoulder as your old bolts.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Bob <br />I have a 1980 EZ loader and it also has bolts but other than taking 5 minutes more to change the tire it's no big deal. If the bolt rust it is a lot eaiser to replace than studs.<br /><br />I changed from drum brakes to Disc about 5 years back and that came with new hubs and studs. So now have one axel with bolts and one with studs.<br /><br />To me is just nothing to worry about, both work.

bobingardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the feed back everyone. Maybe it's just my lack of motor skills that made things difficult. I'll probabley sell the trailer and get a new one if I still have a job in the fall.