bogging down

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry if this has been asked before - 1988 Cruiser with a merc alpha1 5.7 chev thunderbolt ign.<br />Started yesterday with a full load of people - full throttle to plain the motor boggs badly - ease off and it clears up. Today with only three people on board did the same thing - when taking off or when giving full throttle at 25 or 30mph. It bogs for 2 to 5 seconds then kicks in. Just looking for suggestions on what to check first - yesterday we were almost empty so I figured it was the fuel - didn't change with full fuel. I always have gotten gas at the same place - 90 octane at 2.56 a gallon :} Any help would be greatly appretiated...<br />Don

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: bogging down

Also check the accelerator pump in the carb. Is this a four barrel carb ? If so, make sure the secondaries aren't opening too soon.

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't check anything yet - it just started to happen and the marina is a half hour away. I was going to get some ideas and go back some time this week to investigate. My old 1987 larson with a 180hp merc did this also but it didn't really bog - there was just a big time lag from open throttle to the response. A marine tech told me once that there was nothing I could do about it - I never went back to that place...<br />Keep the ideas coming and I'll post back with results

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice

Well, went out on the lake for awhile today - found the arm that goes to the secondaries was bowed up quite a bit - paint was chipping off the bends like it has been happening for awhile. Grabbed a couple of wrenches and straightened out the arm a little bit and the chugging stopped but didn't have all the power. Kept on adjusting it until it felt "normal" again. Could this have bent from me slamming the throttle? I guess I'm happy it runs fine again but could there be something else causing this problem?