Boats U.S. or SeaTow

lostinboat

Seaman
I am planning to get boat towing and was wondering what you guys thought of the two choices. Who is better or are they both about the same? Thanks for your comments and or views.

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boats U.S. or SeaTow

Boat us aka Tow boat.... has done a great job for my father and brother in laws over the years 135 dollars for an unlimited tow year... im getting it this year. i have been lucky enough to not need one in past years, But better safe then sorry...

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Use the search tool for this subject. There is a long thread dedicated to this which was up only a month or so ago.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Both services are a franchise and each location should be measured separately. You may want to ask boaters in your area about their local experience.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Boat U.S. services Lake of the Ozarks. They are our choice there.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boat US has been great for me. I had to use them last year and they were very curtious, helpful and went the extra mile for us. They saved my butt and I know I'll never own a boat with out them. just my 1/2 a cent worth.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Since they start the meter when they leave their dock, also consider which tow company has a franchisee closest to where you are likely to need them.

As someone suggested, there is no substitute for local experience--I heard horror stories about one of the national companies here locally, completely the opposite experience of those using the other company here or the same company elsewhere. But you need to collect a lot of local stories to get good information; one or two complaints or recommendations are worthless.

for some boaters, the cost of paying a tow in full, although painful at the time, is less than a few years of dues.
Also your boat insurance may pay towing, up to a certain amount, and even if you pay the difference, the difference is less than a few years of dues. For example, I get $500 towing on my insurance, and my most expensive tow for where I boat would be $800, so I am only at risk $300 by not having Boat US/Sea Tow, and after 2 years of not paying $150 dues or needing a tow, I am ahead.

You also have to factor in whether you are likely to get assistance from a friend or "good Samaritan." My friends and I have all agreed to help each other out, but we all live where we boat, and around here, boaters usually help each other out regardless of whether they know them. I do it all the time. I've learned from this forum, though, there are some lake boaters that wouldn't pull you 300 yards back to the dock. Shameful.

The towing companies have already worked out the odds of their cost to tow versus your dues, and the odds are in their favor.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with paying for convenience or piece of mind, as long as you know that you aren't making money on it.

Bottom line: towing service is not a "must have" for every boater, and that "free tow that would have cost $800" was not free. For some boaters, it is far better to have it than not (like the offshore/big boat guys around here).

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Having had both I really think it comes down to area of service and other service available in the area. I've had BoatUS on the Chesapeake and now Sea Tow on the lake. The lake I'm on the Marinas close fairly early and not many folks on the water at night. Sea Tow is on the lake and provides 24/7 coverage. I also like the fact you can get a Sea Tow lake card (gold) if that's the only body of water (lake) you'll operate on. It's $50 cheaper than the regular Gold, but you get the same coverage. I've had great service with both, it came down to area coverage.