Boating with Styx

shortwavez

Recruit
my buddies and i were boating the other day and one of them popped in the new album by Styx called Big Bang Theory. Man we haven't listened to Styx in years. Its refreshing to hear them once again. the album rocks. Blue collar man is good. anybody check it out yet?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Boating with Styx

Didnt know they had a new album out.<br /><br />Come sail away, come sail away.....<br /><br />Ken

f_inscreenname

Commander

It cant be the whole band. Dennis De Young, the last I herd will never be welcome in the band. No big deal to me. He was the sappy, artsy part of the band. No room for that in rock and roll. :D <br /> I will have to check it out.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

My Wife and I saw Styx live at Summer Fest this past Tuesday. Great show, they did all their traditional stuff as well as tunes from other bands. One oldie was Humble Pies "I Don't Need No Doctor". Played for an hour and a half or so.<br /><br />What was unusual were the number of gen Xers in the crowd listening to music from before their time. Cool.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

It cant be the whole band. Dennis De Young, the last I herd will never be welcome in the band.
So....Welcome To The Grand Illusion <br /><br /> :D :D

TilliamWe

Banned

They are a better band without Dennis DeYoung. Go see them if you haven't already. I saw them in 1996 Return to PAradise tour with Dennis, and I have seen them twice in the last 4 years without him. Much better now. I have not heard the new album. And darnit, my birthday was just 4 days ago! Now I'll have to wait for Christmas to ask for it!

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Ah, STYX. That was high school and oh that was good music. Is Tommy Shaw still in the band. He was sooo cute!! :D :D <br />Bassy

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To me Styx was going soft with the realease of Paradise Theatre... However, I lost almost all respect for them during the "Mr. Roboto" phase... what were they thinking. Their early stuff is pretty good though.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by McGR:<br /> To me Styx was going soft with the realease of Paradise Theatre...
The very first album I bought (up to that point I taped all my music from my brothers collection of albums), had some fancy laser etching - limited release or something......<br /><br />Aldo

Trent

Captain

Bassy... Tommy is from 50 miles north of me..And yes he is still in the band.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

hey Bassy, my Wife said after the summer fest gig " I like that name Tommy Shaw" what that translates too is "I think Tommy Shaw is hot" based upon my interpretation of how my bride says regarding stuff like that. <br /><br />I told one older couple near us that Styx took their name from the mythological river Styx that ran between heaven and hell, and that a three headed dog named Syberius guarded the entrance to hell. Least that is my understanding.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Saw Styx in Waukegan Ill. back in the 70's while they were still playing High School auditoriums………………Sweet.............Madam Blue...........And a number of time in the decades to follow….

NYMINUTE

Captain

Dennis DeYoung is the voice of Styx. Both have sucked on their own.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Had some Styx playing from the boat at Lake Havasu (no wisecracks Drowned Rat :D ) this weekend. Not necessarily my favorite, but still a very good band. Have not heard any of the new stuff, but will search it out based on these posts. I pretty much like all of Grand Illusion and think that "Man in the Wilderness" is truly a great song.<br /><br />My .02.<br /><br />BTW, welcome shortwaves.

TilliamWe

Banned

James, thems fightin words there! :D Don't compare Styx with Air Supply, please. :eek: <br />Quietcat, Man in the Widerness is an Awesome song. If you like that kinda Styx, you need to get the 4 albums from Wooden Nickel records. I saw it at Wal MArt on CD, all four albums. Would've bought it, but I already have them!<br />NY I think most true Styx fans would agree Dennis was the voice of Styx, but it wasn't the only one we wanted to hear! Trust me, they are a better band without him, and a much better live act without him. I just wish they had been able to keep Glen Burtnik in the band for this latest album & tour. He was a riot on their tour in 2002!