Boating Training for Teenagers?

JM05

Cadet
Please recommend a general boating training school for the family. The kids are 12 and 17 and the last person they listen to is old dad. We have a great time on the water but some outside training effluence would be beneficial. I would like to see them have some general knowledge of boating to prepare them for the unexpected. We live in Northeast Florida and if anyone has a recommendation for a series of classes or a school it would be appreciated. :cool:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boating Training for Teenagers?

Hi Jm....must be nice to boat year round. :D <br /><br />Ya' might check with your local Wild Life Conservation dept. Up here in Ohio, they sponser safe boating courses. Maybe they do the same in your area or can tell you who to contact.<br /><br />Good Boating.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My then 14-year old son and I went to the Coast Guard Auxilliary course together. I would recommend it.<br /><br />Jinx

LadyFish

Admiral

We also took the Coast Guard Power Squadron Safety Course and had our daughter who was 15 at the time take it with us. Her and I had to cheat on the navigational portion it was a little over our heads. Back then we didn't even know what a range marker was. Since that time we moved to the coast and I'm able to put all that knowledge to use. <br /><br />Its a great course and I highly recommend it.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Look on the internet, there are online courses that they can take over the winter, and they are free.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

You might want to try this, http://www.boat-ed.com/pa/index.htm <br /><br />It's not FL but I took it and it's pretty comprehensive. There are also links at the bottom for other information and sites.<br /><br />(Edited) I also notice a link at the very bottom for FL. And some other states.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In New Hamshire, where I mostly boat, a license is required. Both my 17 and 19 year olds took the State course, comparable to the Coast Guard one. Then a neighbor took them out with my boat for ten hours of instruction, because it just doesn't work when Dad does it. Both of them are fully capable of taking the boat out, pulling skiers, etc...as well as loading/unloading at the ramp. They know the dangers that can be...when out on the water, and have learned to respect the need for safety. Demand it from your kids as well...

Offshore22

Cadet

The Coast Guard Auxillary ofers safe boating classes for ages 12& up. I will be taking my soon to be 12 year old daughter to a class that starts in Feb. I think the class is 6-weeks one night a week. When they complete the course they get a certificate. If you take the course most insurance companies will give you a dicount on your policy.<br />Offshore 22

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

This is one really worth while thread...bumping back to top.