boating safety course.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I just sat through an 8 hour course for boating safety with my 12 year old so he can take the boat out by himself.<br />Is this course a common practice in the entire USA or is it just in New York state?

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: boating safety course.

nope. we have it here in michigan also. well worth taking...

11 footer

Lieutenant

I took it in MA, everyone from the age of 12-16 needs to take it to drive a boat by him/her self<br /><br />The one I took was two hours a week for eaither four ot five weeks in a row.<br /><br />It was worth it, I thought it knew everything, but I learned I didn't know as much as I thought I did ;)

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure of the age cut off here but I think it's anybody from 12 to 15 is required to take a course in order to drive a boat or jet ski. <br />LF & I took the course when we started to boat in salt water. We made our daughter who was about 14 at the time take it with us. I was real proud for a while because she was doing real good with the homework. Then I realized that her grades were exactly the same as mine. With a week in between classes she had plenty of time to copy. This is the same kid who came home with 3 report cards in a row where her grades had all been changed and initialed by the teacher. Dear old dad took a while to catch on that the initials were all in reverse slant just like she wrote :rolleyes: That's just one reason I always tell her that grandkids are God's way of rewarding you for raising a teenager and God's way of getting even with her for all the crap she pulled on us.

18rabbit

Captain

They’re everywhere, and they are either free through the US Power Squadron or really low cost through the Coast Guard Reserves.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I'd like to see that program extented to adults going boating!!!! ;) :cool:

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I'd like to see that program extented to adults going boating!!!! ;) :cool: