Boating on the Hudson

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice
I live in the Hudson Valley, NY and will have a boat in the hudson river soon. Does anyone boat near this area? Can anyone tell me what some good trips are either north or south, like going around the city, etc..?
thanks

Thuffjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Boating on the Hudson

Try to get on the champlain canal to lake champlain. Can be a 2 day trip from fort edward. we usually stay and camp on an island and head back the next day.

Expidia

Commander

Not a lot of info to go on here. . .

Where on the Hudson Valley?

What type of boat?

What size boat?

What size motor, if outboard?

How old is the boat/motor

Which side of the Hudson are you on?

Do you trailer it?

What is you boating experience?

Also, pick up a copy of this book if you are going to be on the Hudson.
Make sure it's the latest edition:
The one shown on Amazon has a pricing error, it's about $24.
Also gives the history of every port along the way. Places for gas, restaurants, boat launches etc. You won't be able to put it down. Put it in a waterproof bag and keep it on the boat.
http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Guid...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274407926&sr=1-5

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I have will have my boat in the Hudson, in Dutchess county, in the wappingers/poughkeepsie area.
*I dock, boat is too big to trailer
*1972 Luhrs 28' Flybridge
*Inboard w/ chrysler 360 5.9L
*I'm pretty new to boating, this is my first boat owned, but I have had friends with boats for a few years.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Albany is a quick ride and at aTroy, you have the option of taking the Champlain Canal or the Erie Canal. Back when I did it, 30 tears ago, it was free, now you must pay. Want to take a couple more days? Take the Champlain Canal to Lake Champlain then at St, Jean, take the Chambly Canal up to the Richelieu River and then into the St. Lawrence. 3 days up and three back without pushing it. 13 locks on the canal and you must allow 2 days to traverse them. BUT--quite a scenic ride and worth doing at least once.

We used to camp out on Coxsackie Island right across from the Hudson launch ramp and, of course, going south, Manhattan is really only a day trip.