Boating In A River

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
When baoting inland we have miles of rivers around here. They are not very wide but are very navagable. Averaging about 30 to 50 yards wide, some places narrower than that and a few wider. Plenty of room for safe and courtious passing. They also twist and turn alot, very few straight aways.<br /><br />My problem is that many boaters do not drive through the river like they would on a road, they use the whole river and dont seem as tho they should yield any right-of-way. <br /><br />Every time we go, it is inevitable, there is going to be some idiots using my lane, especially in a turn. It seems they just dont think they should stay keep to the RIGHT. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Today we were making around a right-hand bend and all of a sudden there was four of the previously mentioned idots comming around the corner well in my side of the river, enough so that I had to make an agressive turn to the left to avoid an accident. :mad: <br /><br />When these incidences happen, I very verbaly let the other drivers know my opinion of there boat handeling abilities. :mad: <br /><br />If I was a Sheriff, DMR, or Coast Guard Patrol Officer, I would ticket each and everyone of these idiots.<br /><br />Anyone else boat in similar conditions with these same kind of idiots? :eek:

tommays

Admiral
Re: Boating In A River

i run into these guys on a bay 3 miles wide :eek: why would i not find them on a river ;) <br /><br /><br />tommays

crab bait

Captain

they must be republicans..<br /><br />JUST A JOKE FELLAS..!! REALLY..<br /><br /> ( i had too it was perfect timing.. the right place at the right time.. sorry )<br /><br />everybody's worried about the shoeline logs an stumps

jspitzer

Cadet

seems these people are everywhere,probably the same people that fly bt you at mach five when you are trying to fish instead of slowing down and show you a little courtisy.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by crab bait:<br /> <br />everybody's worried about the shoeline logs an stumps
Actually not, they always seem to want to cut the corner on the shallow side.<br /><br />The way the rivers run, if you stay to the right, a right hand bend in the river is the shallow side and a left hand bend puts you on the deep side when "staying in your lane".<br /><br />It seems the idiots always want to be on the shallow side. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Its amazing we very seldom have accidents on these waterways. :confused:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by jspitzer:<br />probably the same people that fly bt you at mach five when you are trying to fish instead of slowing down and show you a little courtisy.
Well, I for one keep it on the pad when passing someone fishing.<br />You ever seen the wake from someone that run's upon you and pulls the binders to slow down? :eek: <br /><br />Keep er on the pads when you go by me, suits me just fine. :cool:

Triton II

Commander

RP, it's the same over here but made worse by the fact that we drive on the left hand side of the road. So some boating idiots who don't know the rules abuse you when you follow our waterways rules which are the same as yours i.e pass on the right. Other idiots just cut the corners and cut you up without a care in the World and wouldn't give a flying fig about the rules. It's especially bad when you're in a sailing boat. What a sad state of affairs - it doesn't seem to matter how much educational material gets pumped out, how many safe boating seminars we have - the idiots remain. :rolleyes:

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Did you or they give the proper signals by horn or vhs for passing on inland water ways???<br /><br />One beep of the horn to pass on the starboad and two to pass on the port or you can conmunicate on the vhs!!! ;) :cool:

Triton II

Commander

Nice thought Flyrod, however if they don't know the basic right-to-right rule the chances of them know the horn code is about as likely as me winning the lottery. Our ferries use the five blasts (what the heck are you doing?) a lot on Sydney Harbour due to idiots! The other irritant round here is the ignorance of the give way to the right rule. It seems if you own a gin palace the rule is "I'm more important than you so get out of my way!" :eek:

Drowned Rat

Captain

Anywhere I've ever boated, at best, only 50% of the people on the water have a clue as to what they are doing, let alone have a good working understanding of the rules of the road. You just gotta look out for #1. :)

jspitzer

Cadet

sorry I wasn't talking about the bass boats that fly by I was refurring to the pleasure boats that throw a two foot wave going by.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Fly Rod:<br /> :) Did you or they give the proper signals by horn or vhs for passing on inland water ways???<br />
NO....But I did give them all a hand signal and a little verbal abuse also. :D