BOATING FOR DUMMIES?

cistn

Seaman Apprentice
my friends buys this nice new boat, I am not new to boating so i go check out his new boat and offer him some pointers. we attach the gas line,and start pulling the rope on the brand new engine, after i tell him how inportant it is to have the water on with muffs. we pulled that damm rope 100 times.my guess is it's not getting fuel. prime the bulb,,nope hard as a rock,bad gas maybe. i look over and the on/off swith is switched to off...i flip it up. the motor starts with one pull.. i left, tail between my legs but i did tell him DON'T FORGET THE PLUG!!!!

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: BOATING FOR DUMMIES?

Same kind of thing happened to the guy I bought my boat from. My boat was UGLY when I bought it, so naturally I was skeptical. It's a 1964 Boston Whaler (yes, it was 38 years old when I bought it) and a 1986 Merc 35.<br /><br />I was concerned about the age of the ole Merc. We put it in the water and he said that this boat has always started right up...never had a problem.<br /><br />Puts the key in and motor spins over quickly but never firing. Did this for about 5 minutes....I'm about to tell him to put it back on the trailer, I'm not interested. I look at the motor and realize there's no fuel line hooked up. Hooked it up...started right up.<br /><br />I bought the boat and to this day (if the fuel is hooked up) it starts immediately!<br /><br />fuel...funny thing...you must have it to run :D

Twidget

Commander

I have pulled the fuel stunt, it really makes you feel stupid. :)

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got zapped with the kill-switch twice now within 2 weeks...at least I'm no *** then (dutch saying goes " even an *** doesn't hit the same stone twice" so no need for zapping this post )<br />Frank :D :D

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

A couple times a season I forget the kill switch...but by now it is the first thing I check. First time it happened...got me REAL worried..."was just working in the driveway...". Prob took me 10 minutes to figure it our then.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

Paul Moir

Admiral

This one is like the plug. Either you've done it or you won't admit to having done it.<br />Worst one for me was immediately after recovering a half-sunk boat. The water-line was just lapping at the bottom carb bowl when we got to it. To make a long story short, it took the better part of of an hour to realize the lanyard wasn't in.

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kelton- I did something like that when I was trying to sell my evinrude 40 hp.Everytime the guy would put it in gear it would stall . Seem I forgot the tank was all empty.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can honestly say that I have never done the "Kill Switch" or "Fuel Line" trick. For one, my boat/motor doesn't have that lanyard kill switch to forget. <br /><br />I did however do it on a friends boat, mainly cause I have never had to deal with it before. :D

gator68

Cadet

kill switch got me this friday. I just installed anew prop from Iboats!!! I wanted to run the boat bad. So I flooded the engine first. OF course I have my little girl with me. She has patience but not long. finally get it running. and it dies. She asks me "What did you do?"tried again died again. raised motor still have prop. Looked down and the kill switch is not hooked up. After that no more problems

Capt Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This morning my mate says he can't come fishing, because he left the ignition on over night & has a flat battery. Go down to check it out. Put gear shift in neutral & hey presto - it starts. Ok we've all been caught - But 2 mornings in a row???