Boating 101

dk6164

Seaman
Please excuse the ignorance but, what is the best or most often used knot boaters use to tie-off to a dock piling? Cleats, I understand but, the pilings have me scratching my head. Do most people use the Clove Hitch for temporary tieing? The Admiral has tied some knots that take me 15 minutes to untie and that's kinda embarasing when the launch is crowded!! I'd like to give a little training but, I'm not sure myself!!<br /><br />Thanks for any replies

dk6164

Seaman
Re: Boating 101

Dunaruna- cleats are no problem. It's the dock pilings that I can't get a handle on. I remember the dock-hands in the 1000 Islands, they could throw a line around a cleat and never have to bend over!! That impressed the heck outta me!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

alot of people use the granny knot, and have the same problem you have. i don't know what its called, but i use a slip knot type knot that when you pull the trailing end the knot come loose. like tieing you shoe with only one loop instead of 2.

dk6164

Seaman

Thanks gents, I think I'll give the slip knot a try and see how it goes.

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class

If ypu took a coast guard boating safety course they teach you many different knots you could use. I've been boating for years and learned a lot from the course. Worth your time and 15% off insurance (reason I took it).<br /> Dead Eye

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If you have cleat on your boat just come from the boat go around the Piling and back to your cleat. A Clove hitch works well. Around the piling and two half hitches around you line works good. A bowline will work well also.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Bowlines are a little harder to get the right length. That's why I like the clove hitch, it is easy to adjust to the exact length you want.<br /><br />
htch01.gif

dk6164

Seaman

QC- The clove hitch is the one I see most people using around here. I know it can slip, but it's not unattended, the Admiral always sits onboard while I park the rig and get everything ready. Seems to be something wrong with that picture :)

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One can always add a half hitch to the clove hitch to make it more secure

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I use a pair of clove hitches a lot. If you want a faster getaway, you can loop the end of the second one so that you can pull on the "bite" and get it off.<br /><br />For a non-slip know the "Bowline" is my favorite. I learned how to tie it quickly and it is fast and easy to tie and easy to free, even on nylon lines.<br /><br />Mark

tazameir

Cadet

Thank you Dunaruna!!! That animated site is sooo good to have for refernce. If only the web was around in the 70's when I was a boy scout! After I learned most knots I found the easiest way I could think of on how to teach it to other scouts, but now... Here, check this url! Done! :)