Boating 101 - Extra Credit

18rabbit

Captain
The international code flags (a.k.a. signaling flags) used by maritime vessels are comprised of 26 square flags to represent the alpha character; ten pendants to represent the numbers; one “answering” pendant; and three “substitute/repeater” pendants.<br /><br />All of these flags are of colors that are easy to distinguish (red, blue, yellow, black, and white) and the patterns are easily discerned from one another. <br /><br />There is one other signaling flag that is internationally recognized on maritime vessels, although it is not included in the list above. This flag hails from Scotland and has its origins in Christianity.<br /><br />What are the two colors of this other international recognized nautical signaling flag, and what is its pattern?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Boating 101 - Extra Credit

Black and white. Skull and crossbones?

tylerin

Commander

The two Scottish flags I can think of are a white cross at a 45 degree angle on a sky blue backround, or a yellow lion on a red backround. I'm leaning towards the cross w/ its symbol for Christianity

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Its the flag used by the Red Cross. White with red cross on it. No one is supposed to cause any harm to a vessel flying the flag.

tylerin

Commander

I thought the red cross flag originated in Switzerland?? :confused: