Boating 101+5½ - ANSWER

18rabbit

Captain
You just acquired two new vessels. Both are registered as watercraft. You are surprised to learn:<br /><br />1-one of the vessels is often exempted from regulations that require a personal flotation device (life jacket) be available for all passengers when piloting this vessel.<br /><br />2-the other vessel must always display a high intensity all-around flashing red light except when at anchor or moving slowly.<br /><br />What type of watercraft are these two vessels?

oddjob

Commander
Re: Boating 101+5½ - ANSWER

I wont answer just yet and spoil it for everyone. :rolleyes:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by oddjob:<br />I wont answer just yet and spoil it for everyone. :rolleyes:
Me neither. It's to early in the thread. ;)

Drowned Rat

Captain

#2 is a multimodal craft operating in close proximity to the water. <br /><br />I've never heard of a condition like #1

Carphunter

Commander

We always use #1 as an excuse as to why there aren't enough lifejackets in the boat for the Mother-in-law. :p <br /><br />Boy, she hangs on tight when we try to throw her outta the boat. :eek:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

#1 semi-educated guess here, windsurfer/sailboard..?<br /><br />#2 have not a clue.. Airboat?

oddjob

Commander

1. Amphibious aircraft?<br /><br />What is the definition of multimodal ?

Drowned Rat

Captain

A type of nondisplacement vessel such as a wing-in-ground craft is multimodal.

Drowned Rat

Captain

You're killin me 18Rabbit. What is the answer to #1. Any craft that is registered as a watercraft that's actually operating in the water must have a lifejacket for everyone right? Sea planes are not registered as watercraft are they? What about a houseboat that is moored, or any moored boat for that matter? Is this a federal regulation? If so, what about a boat that does not fall under federal jurisdiction such as on a non-interstate lake? That's pushing it I know. A foreign vessel operating outside of the U.S. jurisdiction? What about a life raft that is currently being used to Save Lives? OK I give up! Good one. :)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

The awnser to #1 is the 50's model truck/boat that the Cubans tried to come over in.

Bored To Tears

Seaman Apprentice

#1 a tow along boat? those banana boats you see getting drug along at 50 or so? or any sorta surf tube towed?<br /><br /> :confused:

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

amphicar? (Multimodal, per DR) they have a new one available. It must be registered as a boat but you can "pilot" it down the road as well.. You would not need life jackets unless you enter the water.<br /><br />#2 Is it an airboat???

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

#1 Submarine, #2 a high speed police pursuit boat. Heck I have no idea!!! :confused: But these guess the answer posts are excellent and (eventually) informative! Keep 'em coming!

18rabbit

Captain

BP – your “guess” was right on! :) Well...the first 1/2 anyway. :) <br /><br />There are three types of watercraft that may be exempted from the requirement of a personal floatation device for each passenger. Two types of vessels are machine powered: underwater scooters and submarines. One type of vessel is wind powered; sailboards. Only one of these three vessel types requires registration.<br /><br />Rule 23c is a new rule just added to the International Navigation Rules book requiring a high density flashing red light for WIG craft (Wing In Ground) when taking off, landing, or in flight. There is no such Rule for Inland Navigation so the requirement of a flashing red light applies only when the vessel is used in international water (outside the lines of demarcations).<br /><br />WIG craft are multi-modal craft which, in its main operational mode, flies in close proximity to the surface by utilizing surface-effect action. They look similar to aircraft but they must be registered as watercraft. Definitely check with local authorities regarding any special local rules that apply to this specialized watercraft. I would expect updates to follow shortly for the Inland Navigation Rules to reflect the recent changes made to the International Rules regarding WIG’s.<br /><br />There are no USCG regulations regarding the operation or use of WIG’s. The USCG is currently working with the FAA on developing safety standards for WIG construction, use, etc…<br /><br /> ANSWER: <br /><br />1-submarine<br />2-WIG craft<br /><br />
wig3.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

I've Still got a Full Head of Hair....<br /><br />But,<br />I Want 1 of those Wigs......................... :D

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Rabbit,<br /><br />You ain't just a kiddin. You can't imagine the 500 yard stare I got when I registered my WIG.<br /><br />Oh wait, It was the same look I got when I registered my oldsmobile.. :) :p

18rabbit

Captain

From what I have read about them, WIG’s function closer to a hovercraft than an airplane. There is air pushing up off the surface of the water that provides lift if the WIG is in motion. Once off the surface of the water they require very little fuel to maintain a 100kn+ speed. Boeing has passed reasonable with their new design. I can’t wait to see a Hollywood movie where one of these crashes:<br /><br />
pelicanwig.jpg
<br /><br />“Dwarfing all previous flying giants, the Pelican, a high-capacity cargo plane concept currently being studied by Boeing Phantom Works, would stretch more than the length of a U.S. football field and have a wingspan of 500 feet and a wing area of more than an acre. It would have almost twice the external dimensions of the world's current largest aircraft, the Russian An225, and could transport five times its payload, up to 1,400 tons of cargo.<br /> <br />“Designed primarily for long-range, transoceanic transport, the Pelican would fly as low as 20 feet above the sea, taking advantage of an aerodynamic phenomenon that reduces drag and fuel burn. Over land, it would fly at altitudes of 20,000 feet or higher. Operating only from ordinary paved runways, the Pelican would use 38 fuselage-mounted landing gears with a total of 76 tires to distribute its weight.”

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

I think I found where Boeing got the inspiration for "The Pelican" :D <br />
goose2.jpg