Boating 101+3 - ANSWER

18rabbit

Captain
Are the Rules for required navigation lights on a vessel a minimum or an absolute ?<br /><br /> Minimum meaning the navigation lighting specified in the Rules are the minimum of lighting your vessel must display, but you can display more nav lighting.<br /> Absolute meaning the navigation lighting specified in the Rules are exactly the lighting your vessel must display, and you cannot display any more or less nav lighting.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Boating 101+3 - ANSWER

Answer withheld until 101+1 is answered.. :p

Drowned Rat

Captain

18 rabbit. It is an absolute. The configuration and type of lights displayed is what lets others know how big your boat is and what kind of activity you are engaged in. i.e. sailing, trolling, trawling, piloting, search and rescue, towing, not under command, etc. etc... (red over red, the pilot is dead / red over green sailing machine, and so on. That's how I learned them anyway.) Most work boats have mulitple configurations to utilize depending on what they are doing. The only variance I can think of is this. Vessels under 16' in length not under power i.e. rowboat, canoe, etc. are required to display a flashlight only, however they may also display 225 degrees forward facing split red and green and 135 rear facing white. There may be other isolated exceptions, but I cannot think of any. Remember this is for Nav Lights only, of course you can have other non-navigation lights on your boat. :)

18rabbit

Captain

Thank you Drowned Rat. You are admired by all the intellects here on iBoats…both of them. :) <br /><br /> ANSWER <br /><br />Rule 20b – “The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules …”<br /><br />The Rule(s) for the navigation lights your vessel is required to display are absolute. You may neither add nor remove any navigation lights from those lights required in the Rules. Nor may you ever display any other lights that may be mistaken as navigation lights.<br /><br />The Rules also specify an intensity requirement for all vessel navigation lights, contingent on the vessel size. The Rule for light intensity is a minimum and brighter lights may be substituted. Rule 22 – “The lights prescribed in these Rules shall have an intensity as specified in Annex I to these Rules, so as to be visible at the following minimum ranges: …”

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Heres a quiz for you, does a halon system(automatic fire extinquiser) count as a fire extinquiser onboard....???Apparently not casuse I got a $200.00 ticket from the lake nazis for not having one......

sloopy

Commander

NO it does not. You need to have a fire extinguisher on board that you can operate. The automatic fire extinguisher can only put out fires in the area that it is installed in.

Fly Rod

Commander

The system usually is only in the area of the engine room. It would be of no use if a fire was in the foc'cle living area of the vessel so you do need a fire extinquiser.<br />Look in your CFR's. Gives you all the info for what you need for differant size boats.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Rod Knocking. You Halon system does indeed meet one requirement, but only if your size vessel is required to have at least 2 fire extinguishers. If you are a 30' cabin cruiser, you are required to have 2- B1's or 1- B2. Or you can have 1- B1 and a Fixed system such as your halon system. That is the law under USC. Local laws may vary.