Boating 101+2 - ANSWER

18rabbit

Captain
A seaplane is in the act of positioning itself for take off and in so doing places itself in the path of a cabin cruiser. One vessel must stand on and which vessel must give way. Which vessel has priority?

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Boating 101+2 - ANSWER

It depends on the position of the sea plane. As long as the plane is in the water it is a BOAT. Whoever has the other vessel of her port has the right of way.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's whoever can flick the other guy off first!<br /><br />ok, just kidding - I agree with DR.

sloopy

Commander

I believe that if the seaplane is on step he would have right of way. If the cabin cruiser was in the seaplanes path before it was on step the cabin cruiser would have right of way.

Drowned Rat

Captain

You are 3/4 right SLOOPY. Actually during takeoff the seaplane is considered "Constricted to her channel" and therefore has the right of way. However at any other time, standard rules apply between two equal vessels, who ever is to the port must give way.

sloopy

Commander

Although lets hope some people use common since. That spinny thing in the front might cut you :eek: . Sea planes have water rudders but they are pulled up when it is on step. If the pilot were to leave them down he would flip the plane over. So basically DON'T GET SMART WITH ONE, unless he gets up on step and his heading right for your 30 boat raft up.

Trent

Captain

I stand by what I said ... Check out the FAR's (Federal Air Regulations}

18rabbit

Captain

ANSWER <br /><br />Of all the vessels on water, the seaplane has the lowest priority. It must “keep well clear of all vessels and void impeding their navigation.” Rule 18d. The only exception is during actual take-off or landing, in which case it has priority. <br /><br />In the example above the seaplane is positioning for take off and thus it is the give-away vessel. The cabin cruiser is the stand-on vessel and is required to maintain course and speed unless forced to maneuver. Rule 17.