Boating 101+1 - ANSWER

18rabbit

Captain
No vessel in the water is as maneuverable as a rowboat, but every vessel is faster than one. In a sailboat vs. rowboat scenario, one vessel must stand on and one must give way. According to the Inland Waters Navigation Rules, which vessel has priority?<br /><br />Note: the sailboat is not operation under power.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boating 101+1 - ANSWER

I'm going to say,<br />IF the Sailboat is under Sail, It has the right of way......<br />If the Guy in the Rowboat is Fishing , the sailboat must stand down.....<br />If they are both making way, in the same direction, the sailboat must Signal,+ pass Safely..... or stand down,+ find Safe Passage.....

Fly Rod

Commander

In an over taking situaion, the boat being over taken has right of way regardless if sail or row boat.<br />Lets say row boat is being overtaken, row boat has right of way. All other boats [sail, etc.] stay clear.

Fly Rod

Commander

When one boat is crossing the other the boat to starboard has right of way.<br />So if the row boat is to the starboard side of the sail boat the row boat would be the stand on boat and sail boat the give way boat.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I dunno.... :confused: <br /><br /> I want to say the row boat is the stand on vessel because of lack of speed, but the dang blow boat is also less than "manuverable" under sail... hummmmmmm.. General prudential rule should be observed by both vessels I guess...<br /><br />ahhh heck with it... I hate sailboats... RAM THE BLOW BOAT!!!!!!! :D

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Sail, unless in a river in which the boat going downcurrent has right of way.<br /><br />I think, hey this is hard.... :confused:

ezbtr

Commander

Ya know I had same qeustion, last week when I had my boat out in open delta waters(no speed limit) a sailboat was on my right comin twds me, so I think, OK he's tacking with wind right? I slowed down to decrease my wake and went around, was this ettiquette on my part?

Fly Rod

Commander

I believe it was good ettiquette on your part Heinz. :cool: <br /><br />You wouldn't happen to be related to John Kerry on his wifes side, she's a Heinz???

Drowned Rat

Captain

Sail boat has right of way unless overtaking the row boat. Overtaken boats always have the right of way. All other boats yield to sail vessels except vessels that are restricted to a narrow channel due to their size.

Fly Rod

Commander

OOOOOKAY!!!it's been two days now.<br /><br />What's the answer?????? :rolleyes:

sloopy

Commander

Bondo- I don't know of any commercial fishing companies that fish off rowboats!

18rabbit

Captain

Sloopy - when I read Bondo's post I had visions that me ROTFLMAO!!! Rowboats with hydraulics pulling in long lines. :D :D :D

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo- I don't know of any commercial fishing companies that fish off rowboats! <br />
What's commercial Got to Do with It ?????<br /><br />Did I Miss Something ????

18rabbit

Captain

Yes, Bondo, you missed something. :) <br /><br />Rule 3d: “The term “vessel engaged in fishing” means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restricts maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or fishing apparatus which does not restrict maneuverability.”<br /><br />Basically, commercial fishing vessels fish and party boats and recreational boats do not. No matter how much you love fishing, it is unlikely you are fishing fishing, you are only just fishing. :)

Bondo

Staff member

Well,<br />When I'm trolling with my planerboards out,100' off Each side of the boat.......<br /><br />It restricts maneuverability.......<br />Basicly a boat 21' Long,+ 200' Wide.........<br />Trailing lines up to 300'.....................<br /><br />I call that restricted maneuverability..................... :D

18rabbit

Captain

Congratulation to Pointer for having the insight to know this is not an easy scenario to resolve. I was surprised at the misinformation that appeared in response to this thread. Originally I had intended to correct each with the appropriate citation from the Inland Navigation Rules. Instead, if there is enough interest in Boating 101, I will post further questions that will resolve the misconceptions.<br /><br /> ANSWER <br /><br />It remains unknown. I’ve posed this question to several USCG certified captains. There is no consensus as to a correct answer. The general overall feeling is the rowboat is probably the stand-on vessel because the ability to maneuver would imply propulsion means to accomplish an evasive maneuver in a reasonable time, something not likely with a rowboat.<br /><br />The rowboat is slow enough that any question of which vessel has priority is lost to Rule 2. You are required to break the Rules as needed to avoid collision. In the example above the sailboat will likely have to turn-away, regardless of which vessel has priority.<br /><br />Rule 2b: “In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger.”<br /><br />Rule 3b: “The term “power-driven vessel” means any vessel propelled by machinery.”<br /><br />An oar attached to the rowboat is a machine…a lever, with the oarlock being the fulcrum, the occupant provides power on the bar handle, and the other end of the bar applies force as the paddle. If this is the case, a rowboat is a power-driven vessel, and the sailboat would be the stand-on vessel.<br /><br />I wonder if a rowboat can be considered ‘restricted in her ability so maneuver’ and thus have priority as the stand-on vessel?!?<br /><br />Rule 3g: “The term “vessel restricted in her ability so maneuver” means a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel; …”<br /><br />Rule 25d(ii): “A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this Rule for sailing vessels, …”<br /><br />When it comes to the use of navigation lights, a rowboat would conform to the display scheme of sailboats. This suggests both the sailboat and the rowboat have the same priority.