Boater's World, Bait & Switch or False Advertising?

jmattor

Cadet
I'll keep it brief and try to include all the details. <br />I purchased 2 sets of wakeboard racks from Boater's World over the internet. The racks were ordered in plenty of time for an upcoming week-long boating trip with several families. The same item is advertised in the 2004 Master catalog. It was for item # 478080229 - Xtreme Wakeboard Rack by Marine Accessories Corp. I was charged the advertised price of $79.99 each for a total of $159.98. I used my Bankcard so the cash was taken from my checking account right away.<br />A week later a box arrives with two totally different racks than the ones pictured in the catalog or on the website. No problem, I thought, people make mistakes.<br />I called the customer service number and was told that they must have shipped the wrong ones...the ones I want are on "Backorder" and will be in on 6/14. The person I spoke to even changed the freight to be sure that I received them before my trip.<br />I wasn't so sure about the guy I spoke to because he didn't know what a wakeboard rack was...so I followed up with an e-mail.<br /><br />WELL, I received an e-mail back stating 1)There was "something wrong" with the picture on the website. 2) that they didn't "Showcase" the Xtreme rack on the website...(there is a picture of the rack - it says,"Xtreme"...isn't that showcasing it?) and lastly 3) that they don't carry the Xtreme rack. And in closing they said to send the racks I received back for a credit BUT they would only pay $15.00 for shipping!<br /><br />I replied asking for an explanation...do they or don't they carry it? why did they tell me it was on backorder and offer to rush the shipment ? why do I have a receipt that says "Marine Accessories Corp. Wakeboard Rack = $ 159.98 ?<br />Why did they send a different model instead of refunding my money? And could they get the rack for me since they also advertise the Xtreme speakers...light bar and tower next to the racks?<br /><br />I never got a reply...<br />So I called today. The first person I spoke to was as helpful as she could be (she told me she was new) When she called back to say that there was a problem and that all she could tell me was they didn't carry the rack, that I could speak to her Supervisor.<br />Well that was a waste of time. All she did was get hostile and tell me to send them back if I didn't like them.....<br /><br />So? Bait & Switch..or False Advertising???

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boater's World, Bait & Switch or False Advertising?

Goto a local Boaters World and speak to the manager, they usually go out of their way to make sure you get what you want. <br /><br />I used to work for boaters world while I was in college and the store vs. the mail order/internet division has a totally different outlook on customer service.<br /><br />-John

jmattor

Cadet

I would love to do just as you say, Johnshan1, I think the folks at the local store are terrific. They can't help me on this one though. It's an "internet / catalog only item".<br />What makes it more interesting.....I just checked the Boater's world site, http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/...1&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=9232388 <br />They have just now...I mean in the last hour or so, changed the item. However if you are quick enough. You will see that they still picture the "Xtreme" rack, now they call it the Cook Manufacturing rack!!! Problem is...Marine Accessories manufactured the rack in the picture!<br /><br />They were very specific to ask me exactly what was on the box. Now they are probably getting themselves in deeper...they have mislabled the Xtreme rack. Try to order the rack pictured...you won't get it!

jmattor

Cadet

Well I guess their excuse about the Master catalog being printed months in advance....and that they've since changed their buying practices and no longer buy or sell the Xtreme rack won't hold much water either.<br /><br />I just opened my mailbox and found the "Summer 2004" catalog...guess what?<br /><br />On page 46 there it is clear as day! the Xtreme Wakeboard Rack!!!!!!<br /><br />Not only did the Supervisor I spoke to lie to me, but she evidently doesn't read her employer's seasonal catalogs!