boat

greb

Recruit
I have the opportunity to get a 1972 wellcraft bowrider with a 115 johnson and a 1985 trailer motor runs saw video all motor needs red lead to battery let have your thoughts good or bad. Thanks Mike

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
Old boats, and most important, old cheap boats in most cases need lots of work and money. Look closely or have another look it over for you

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It's a 52 year old boat. Assume it needs work

tpenfield

Staff member
I have the opportunity . . . " all motor needs red lead to battery" . . . your thoughts good or bad. Thanks Mike
If it was that simple the seller would probably have done that already.

If the motor needs an electrical cable, then I wonder when the video was made. Perhaps the engine is not in running condition now.

It may not be much of an 'opportunity'.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi...its a difficult situation to make comment on or judge, just depending on assumptions, experience or even cynical thoughts.
The latter thinking, might agree with the above (and usually correct) thinking.
First thing to mind from what you've mentioned might be around the evidence of the engine running, but the suggestion that it needs a simple addition of a battery cable to make good. How did the guy get it running ? Assumption might be that he might have used such a cable to do this...so why would such a thing not be included in the deal ? a little strange otherwise.
Another thought might be that I know that even the most worn of outboard engines will run and sound revvy and quite healthy, when running in a guys driveway on a set of muffs and not under load. she could even be only firing on half her cylinders and apparently sound half decent to the unaware. Put her in the water and under load...different story.

With regards to the boat herself, unless there has been some intervening surgical work or restoration to her stringers, floor and transom in her lifetime, the chances that such things are in good health otherwise are almost next to none.

All that said and done, you never know though. There are genuine lovely and pampered boats of similar age in existence. But I might suspect that those boats that fall into this rare category might not be often feature the mention or requirement of a battery cable.

Anyway...if you are still keen, long story short, make sure you do a compression test on the engine, make sure she has a healthy gearbox, ignition and charging ability too. Check the trailer is actually designed for a boat and in good health. And certainly make sure the transom and stringers are healthy. Otherwise you will be quick to learn a harsh and unfortunate lesson on elderly boats.
Best of luck

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have the opportunity to get a 1972 wellcraft bowrider with a 115 johnson and a 1985 trailer motor runs saw video all motor needs red lead to battery let have your thoughts good or bad. Thanks Mike
Plan on a minium of 5K in out of pocket expense and six months of hard work to make it sea worthy. Not what you want to hear, but after 60 plus years of boat ownership, it will turn out that way for sure !! If the owner properly maintained and stored the boat for all these years, he would not let a 20 dollar cable keep the motor from running. I have saw many folks take there fine older boat out for a spin and watch the transom get ripped off and sink like a rock because it was rotted. Wouldn't to see that happen to you...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The motor is white so newer than 72.----Have a good look at the transom and stringers on this " airslot " ? model.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Those old trihulls are noted for rotten plywood in the hulls...buyer beware !!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
While the engine is tilted, push down hard. Should be zero flex on the transom. Bring a wrench and try to tighten the bolts holding the motor on. Should not be able to, if you can the wood in the transom is mush.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
If it was that simple the seller would probably have done that already.

If the motor needs an electrical cable, then I wonder when the video was made. Perhaps the engine is not in running condition now.

It may not be much of an 'opportunity'.
Yeah always amazes me that sellers say needs minor repairs but they haven’t done them…

to OP check the stringers floor and transom for rot