Boat won't move

TC10

Cadet
I have a 1990 Sea Ray Cuddy 220. Last time I had it out I was cruising on a plane with no issues when all of the sudden it came to a complete stop. The engine was running but when I accelerated I did not move at all I thought I was grounded or stuck on a rock. No movement in idle, forward or reverse. I did not smell anything there was no smoke. Could it be a spun prop, Bad coupler or a fuel issue?

alldodge

Staff member
Its running but won't move, means its either the coupler, prop hub or drive.

As ding mentioned, put in gear and spin the prop. If it spins its in the drive

If it doesn't, start motor and put in gear. See if the drive shaft is spinning behind the motor

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Step # is to drain the gear oil.-----But this does sound expensive to me.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm thinking the splines on the coupler stripped out not moving at all

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Could be a few things as mentioned. Could be a spun prop...or worse, no or low gear lube and you destroyed the gears in the lower unit. What type of motor is it? Merc, OMC?

TC10

Cadet
Thank you all for the response. It’s a merc engine. I’ll start with checking the prop. I’m hoping it’s nothing more than that. I’m not sure it would be worth fixing if it’s something bigger.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have a 1990 Sea Ray Cuddy 220. Last time I had it out I was cruising on a plane with no issues when all of the sudden it came to a complete stop. The engine was running but when I accelerated I did not move at all I thought I was grounded or stuck on a rock. No movement in idle, forward or reverse. I did not smell anything there was no smoke. Could it be a spun prop, Bad coupler or a fuel issue?
So engine would rev up freely as if in neutral or engine was under load and couldn't make the rpms happen?

If revs up freely coupler, prop hub, upper gears in outdrive gone or broken vertical drive shaft. All of these except prop hub would cause an over heat as impeller in drive won't turn.

if it doesn't accelerate under load yes could be fuel supply, ignition related (check advance and strength of spark), compression of engine. Would start with contents of fuel filter and look for contaminants

TC10

Cadet
So engine would rev up freely as if in neutral or engine was under load and couldn't make the rpms happen?

If revs up freely coupler, prop hub, upper gears in outdrive gone or broken vertical drive shaft. All of these except prop hub would cause an over heat as impeller in drive won't turn.

if it doesn't accelerate under load yes could be fuel supply, ignition related (check advance and strength of spark), compression of engine. Would start with contents of fuel filter and look for contaminants
It revs freely as if I was in neutral with no movement even in idle. The engine seems to running fine, no overheating.

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
If not a spun prop or the others mentioned, could it be that the shift linkage is apart, separated ? I don't know what engine is in a SeaRay