Boat Wiring Question - 2 Batteries

vista4u2

Seaman Apprentice
I bought basically a basket case bass boat with a 115 Mariner on it. The wiring was nothing but a big convoluted mess and just added confusion as I worked to get the engine going, so to keep things simple, I removed all wiring, got the engine running (great), and now I'm in the process of rewiring the whole thing, that being: engine starting, lights, live wells (2), fish finder and trolling motor. My idea is to use 2 batteries, run in parrellel to maintain 12 volts, but this of course, doubles my amperage (Ohms Law). I don't think there should be a problem with this, but correct me if I am wrong. If it is OK, should each system be on a seperate fused circuit, if so, what size fuse should I use? Any suggestions/advise would be nice, I am in the early stages of this project, and can easily change horses in mid stream if needed. Thanks!

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat Wiring Question - 2 Batteries

I would suggest wiring the batteries seperately. Using one for your trolling motor and the other for starting and accesories. I would make sure the starting battery is a deep cycle plus starting, so you have the cca's, and can also deep cycle it. It gives you more options.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boat Wiring Question - 2 Batteries

Moving to Boats