Boat winch/weight capabilities ?????

I have a Mariah Diablo, 18fter and I want to replace my boat winch but dont know how much weight it should be able to pull.. 1,500 lbs, 1,800 lbs ?????? the old one doesnt say how much weight it pulls either... anyone have a clue ?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat winch/weight capabilities ?????

I have a Mariah Diablo, 18fter and I want to replace my boat winch but dont know how much weight it should be able to pull.. 1,500 lbs, 1,800 lbs ?????? the old one doesnt say how much weight it pulls either... anyone have a clue ?

Ayuh,... A 1000lb.'er is plenty...

Yer only draggin' it up the trailer, Not dead liftin' it...

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

I am looking into a new winch, my boat is a 24ft pontoon (1992 monark - 120hp). My boat net weight is roughly 2200lbs, so your saying a winch 50% of that weight? Maybe I am crazy....but I dont think I would put less than 2000lb winch on my trailer. Maybe you can help explain so I understand or help with what I am missing. Thanks for your help.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

that's why I said minimum..... I personally lean toward double the minimum....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I am looking into a new winch, my boat is a 24ft pontoon (1992 monark - 120hp). My boat net weight is roughly 2200lbs, so your saying a winch 50% of that weight? Maybe I am crazy....but I dont think I would put less than 2000lb winch on my trailer. Maybe you can help explain so I understand or help with what I am missing. Thanks for your help.

If you do the math and everything is in perfect alignment and perfect working order, the pull required would be roughly half the weight of your boat. Remember, I said perfect. A frozen roller or a bunk out of alignment could easily double the amount of pull required to get the boat on the trailer.

The other issue is the way they rate winches. For whatever reason, they rate boat winches using the diameter of the empty drum. Ever winch a boat on a trailer without some sort of cable or strap? :confused:

As we know, Winch Pull = Force (your shoulder) x the Radius of the winch pulley. If the pull requirements remain the same and the radius increases (cable getting wound back on the spool) you have to increase the force (your shoulder) to keep up with demand.

On your typical winch, the difference between the empty drum and a full drum is about half. Anyone who has ever winches a boat on the trailer can testify to the increased demand as the boat gets closer to the winch post.
Bottom line, the bigger the winch the easier it?s going to be on your shoulder. I personally don?t see saving $15 only to pull an arm muscle or have to take Uncle Ernie the gorilla wrester along every time you go out so he can winch the boat back on the trailer.

It?s your back. It?s your money. ;)

gilbugs

Cadet

Thanks for the discussion, my old winch just broke and I bought a new one before I researched what the rating should be. Stupid I know, but my gut got the better of me so i decided to check and see what I could find. I have an 86 Seay Seville Mid Cabin and net weight is about #3300. I bought an #1800 lb winch which meets the minimum, but I am thinking I should step it up a bit.