boat vs. pipe

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not long ago, a friend of mine and I were chasing mullet. We were in an area that we know pretty well. There is a steel pipe that usually stuck out of the water at about 45 degrees. It was a marsh tide and the pipe was just under the surface of the water. In that same area there was a large school of mullet, I shined the spotlight and they showered everywhere. My friend dropped the anchor on the net and I opened the throttle on the boat. I was looking with the spotlight and yelled out, where the h*** is that pipe. About that time, I found it and we stopped rather abruptly. When I hit it, my friend came flying to the front of the boat and slammed me against the console on the bow. The pipe was now standing straight up and the tide was starting to blow out. The boat didn't take on very much water because the pipe was holding it up, for now. I made a few calls to other people fishing in the area to come help. We transfered everything to other boats and hooked lines to my boat, 1 in the front and 2 on the sides, and proceeded to remove the boat from the pipe, ripping out a section of the hull. The boat began to sink and it was towed back to the ramp mostly submerged. Luckily, I was able to get everything stripped, except for the motor from the boat before it submerged. The motor was no big loss since I planned on replacing it soon anyways. It had over 10,000 hours on it and not even 2 years old yet. I should have it back on the water again by spring.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: boat vs. pipe

Ouch ! that had to hurt !

45Auto

Commander

It had over 10,000 hours on it and not even 2 years old yet.

So you average running your motor OVER 100 hours per week??

That's about 15 hours per day, 7 days a week.

When do you have time to sleep or fish? :eek:

I suspect the whole story is pretty FISHY ....... good imagination though .....

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So you average running your motor OVER 100 hours per week??

That's about 15 hours per day, 7 days a week.

When do you have time to sleep or fish? :eek:

I suspect the whole story is pretty FISHY ....... good imagination though .....

I commercial fish and the motor stays running from time I leave the dock until I get home. I usually get about 3 to 5 hours of sleep a day. Actually it is 14 hours on the boat most days, some more than others, some less. Not to mention, I am not the only person who uses my boats. I didn't even think about taking pictures of anything, but I have plenty of receipts and materials.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

That is awfull. Glad everyone is okay. Hope you get her fixed up soon...

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like a good place for a buoy, or just a detergent bottle with a rope tied to the pipe.

Sorry to hear of the trouble...glad you guys got back in ok:)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Here in Louisiana, we shove long, skinny tree branches, bamboo or pvc poles in the mud next to objects like that. They are all over the place here - usually cyprus stumps, etc., but we do get the occassional pipe, because of all of the abandoned oil/gas field lines.

???

ziggy

Admiral

since ya knew it was there. ya coulda set up a danger zone on your gps that would let ya know what area to avoid.... just food for after thought...

sorry about yer woes... glad yer alright and got yer boat back to the ramp....

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very true, I could have marked it with a GPS but I never use one in inland waters. There are marker buoys tied to that pipe all the time but they get stolen. The boat is back in the water, working again and making me money.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Glad you are O.K.
Hard to believe how some folk are !!! stealing marker buoys like that.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad you are O.K.
Hard to believe how some folk are !!! stealing marker buoys like that.

I really don't think that there is much that people won't steal. It wouldn't surprise me if they even tried to steal sticks poked in the mud.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

I really don't think that there is much that people won't steal. It wouldn't surprise me if they even tried to steal sticks poked in the mud.

i don't think they'd steal those but I'd bet you a dollar they'd take 'em out just to laugh at some poor guy who damaged his boat because of it.