Boat Vent? What is this?

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice
trying to figure out what the purpose of the vent looking thing on starboard side of my boat is, see attached picture. i have it circled in red. its basically a circular vent that goes thru the hull and ends up at about my right foot (when i am piloting my vessel). as best i can figure out its purpose is to keep my feet aerated and thus reduce SFS (stinky foot syndrom) :D
My concern is, it would seam to be another way for water to enter into the boat when facing bigger chop. any ideas?

Attachments

• boatvent.JPG
    boatvent.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Boat Vent? What is this?

Picture not detailed enough to see what it is but look about the right size for a fuel tank vent. If it is then should go to your fuel tank if you have one. I would not worry about water getting in from that vent. If it is a fuel tank vent then it would have a screen in it to prevent explosions.

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice

not the fuel tank vent, both the filler and the vent are on the backside. This vent (or whatever it is) is not hooked up to anything. its basically just a round hole thru the hull, with a metal vent plate on it. have not noticed it on other boats before, maybe its like a fake hood scooop on a car?

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

probably an add on, by previous owner. as you said to cool his heals.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You got a livewell on there or did it use to have?
Looks like an overflow for a well to me.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Could it have had a horn there? I've seen some boats today with what looks like a plastic vent cover and there is a small horn on the other side.

45Auto

Commander

Both my boats had vents like that with the horn behind them.

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice

Could it have had a horn there? I've seen some boats today with what looks like a plastic vent cover and there is a small horn on the other side.

Both my boats had vents like that with the horn behind them.

i think boatin bob and 45auto hit the nail on the head, the horn is in that general vicinity. Thanks!

-Greg