Boat Trailer Bunk Carpet

ReelBlessing

Recruit
First, I sure do appreciate this forum and finally registered. I am in the process of replacing the bunks on my boat and have read numerous conversations. It is an aluminum/painted Crestliner and will be using a high grade 2x6 Douglas Fir. I have a couple questions regarding the carpet. I was planning to use the 36oz Cuda carpet.
1. Is it necessary to leave some of the bottom open for draining and drying? If so, I will use the 12" which would leave me a couple inches open on the bottom.
2. I will be using stainless steel staples and hardware. Should I glue also?

I thought about going with some of their super slides too. Although nice, I don't think the expense is necessary for my needs. Thanks a lot!

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
I have put new carpet on the bunks of a trailer but the wood bunks were is good shape so I didn't have to replace them. What I was told to do and did was to use heavy outdoor carpet, preferably from one of the boat trailer manufacturers. I was told to wrap the bunk and fold the carpet under but not to over lap it under the bunk because it would hold water. I was told to use stainless staples and brass tacks but not glue. The logic for no glue was that when it came time to replace the carpet it would be much easier to remove without being glued. I don't think you want to just let the carpet hang down past the bunk board vertically on each side, as I said I wrapped it under but used a width that allowed about an inch gap between the two edges under the board. I stapled the carpet using a close pitch distance between staples. I used the brass tacks on the sides along with staples but I didn't use any tacks on the top side for fear that the tack head would scratch my hull. It wasn't too bad a job but it did take most of one day to complete. I used that trailer for over 10 years after I put the new carpet on with no issues. Good luck!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1 - yes
2 - not needed, look at monel staples vs stainless

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I left a gap when I did mine, partly to aid in drying and partly because it make the process much easier than trying to align the edges of the carpet.

I agree that monel staples are the way to go. Glue if overkill and will just make it more difficult to replace the carpet if you need to.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
First, I sure do appreciate this forum and finally registered. I am in the process of replacing the bunks on my boat and have read numerous conversations. It is an aluminum/painted Crestliner and will be using a high grade 2x6 Douglas Fir. I have a couple questions regarding the carpet. I was planning to use the 36oz Cuda carpet.
1. Is it necessary to leave some of the bottom open for draining and drying? If so, I will use the 12" which would leave me a couple inches open on the bottom.
2. I will be using stainless steel staples and hardware. Should I glue also?

I thought about going with some of their super slides too. Although nice, I don't think the expense is necessary for my needs. Thanks a lot!
Yes I would prefer to leave the bottom open but have had trailers factory equipped both open at bottom and completely wrapped.

My current Magic Tilt has open bottoms on the cypress bunks - issue is I have had carpenter bees drilling holes in the bunks... just something to keep in mind. I think when I re-carpet them I will enclose them somehow.

ReelBlessing

Recruit
Thanks everyone. I had not recognized the difference between stainless and monel. Thanks again!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Really you should stop before you wrap anything at the bottom. Side and top only. That allows for drainage.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
What are your bunk supports made of? Mine are steel and they looked like this after 15 seasons. I replaced the bunks and painted them with Chassis Saver. Bottom line...do not sit the supports on carpet that, during boating season, never dries out.IMG_1239.JPGIMG_1700.JPG

BillWilliams

Seaman
Something you may want to consider is GatorBak bunk covers. They are definitely more expensive than carpet but that's what I used to replace the carpet on my bunks and really like them. They don't hold water at all and they do make it a little easier when I winch the boat up on the trailer.