boat title legal questions

skeeterFever

Cadet
hey guys i need a little info , if anyone can help....first my state is indiana---

heres the story

i bought a fishing boat from a co worker, pretty decent guy,,very lazy though..

i paid for the boat- signed boat and trailer titles..and took it home..

went to the drivers license department to register and etc.....and come to find out i had 2 trailer titles and no boat title..{1 original trailer title and 1 duplicate trailer title}

license department looked up the vins and it is in his name..

so i go see him and tell him--and i think it was realy just a boo boo on his part.

he has told me for 2 weeks he will go and order me a title{cant find original because he packed up and moved to a new home}

i know this guy well and he wont do me wrong-- but he is taking his sweet time and is not in a hurry.. well i am in a hurry.

you got my money now fix this problem..

MY QUESTION IS --DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO LIGHT A FIRE UNDER HIS AZZ...

DO I HAVE ANY GROUND TO STAND ON LEGALY --CAN I FILE A POLICE REPORT , OR PAPERWORK AT THE LICENSE DEPARTMENT IF THIS DRAGS OUT..

HE RECENTLY BOUGHT A BRAND NEW RANGER AND HAS NO TIME FOR MY PROLEM...

SORRY SO LONG BUT WANTED TO GIVE ALL THE DETAILS. THANKS

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: boat title legal questions

Just like there was a duplicate title for the trailer, the state should be able to give you paperwork to obtain a duplicate title for the boat. While you will be completing the paperwork, your lazy arse previous owner will only need to sign it. This is exactly why I always tell people to make darned sure that you get a signed title (if you are in a title state). If the seller can't produce one he doesn't get any money until I see the paper. Although titles are frequently lost, there are generally ways to correct the issue but they almost always involve more of your time than the sellers. I realize that doesn't help now, but perhaps others reading this will see the problems this carelessness can cause. Lost titles and failure to transfer titles are really pet peeves of mine. It is simply irresponsible behavior. I feel better now!!!! :)

skeeterFever

Cadet

thank you sir- and hopefully this will help others also..
thanks for that info- i myself will go back in and try to obtain that paperwork from the license department...

and your post is correct--my over excited ness to get my new toy home caused me to over look the titles to fast...

we both should have took the time to read and make sure i had the apropriate titles in my hand --instead of 2 trailer titles...

if i would have slowed down i would have cought it...but i {assumed because 2 titles were in my hand..}

thank you for reading -so i can most likely fix and handle this myself

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may be able to both go to the dmv and get everything transfered without waiting on him to receive a title. By law, he has to provide a title. Remind him of that. Then again, legally he still owns the boat too.

skeeterFever

Cadet

i am going to see what i can do tuesday morning when the branch opens here in this little town..

maybe your info is correct , and i can handle it myself.........he is just slow....i dont consider him sketchy at all...

i bought the the boat from him at our work place and had many employees as witnessess----if in the long run it turns ugly...

im hoping for the best----thanks guys-------I WILL UPDATE THIS THREAD WITH THE OUT COME INCASE IT CAN EVER HELP SOMEONE ELSE GREEN..

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know here in MN if you have a bill of sale you can do what they call a force of transfer. I also know that it took like over a month to get my tile for my boat after I transferred it into my name, our very efficient state at work:D.