Boat that does not register hours ? ? ?

bustoff

Cadet
I'm considering buying a 1998 Wellcraft 260 se from a private owner. The current owner said he could not tell me how many hours were on the engine because there was no way to find out.
Is that correct that some boats do not register hours ?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boat that does not register hours ? ? ?

Not all boats come from the factory with an hour meter. Mine didn't either. However, one got installed before she ever hit the water.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes. My first boat had no hour meter. No legal requirement.

Most pleasure boaters don't put on more than 50 a year. 100 is some work.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I don't have hour meters, either. However, my engine hours can be read on a V-P configured scan tool and I verified them during the survey. Depends on the engine package and year as to whether your Merc can be scanned, too.

My .02

southkogs

Staff member

Of all the boats I've ever owned (probably 5 or so), this is my first to ever have a meter on it.

tpenfield

Staff member

1998 boat? The engine should be able to read-out the hours through the engine module thingy . . . Might need a marine mechanic who has the proper equipment to read the 'codes' & hours, etc.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

My 1985 Galaxy didn't have one. I installed one last year when I reengined it.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm considering buying a 1998 Wellcraft 260 se from a private owner. The current owner said he could not tell me how many hours were on the engine because there was no way to find out.
Is that correct that some boats do not register hours ?

As the others have said, not all engines have hour meters. The number of hours on an engine is interesting to know, but usually irrelevant. A 15 year old boat with low hours isn't necessarily a good thing. Whether high or low, regular maintenance and careful off season storage is more important.

bustoff

Cadet

Thanks guys !
The current owner said he bought the boat from a repo dealer three months ago and rehabbed it. Replaced all the carpet and headliner in the cabin and installed new lights and stereo. (Looks almost too good). He told us the boat must have sat for a long time because he found mud dauber nests when rehabbing the boat. When asked why he was selling the boat so quickly after all that work he stated they wanted a bigger boat. Took us for a 15 minute ride and the boat seemed to perform fine, however, I wouldn't have a clue if an engine sounds good or bad. Has a 250 hp merc 5.7L. here's a couple pics of the engine.
IMG_2018.jpgIMG_2019.jpg

Sounds like he flips boats for a profit and/or hobby. Nothing wrong about it but I don't like how he lies about it.

If you are seriously thinking about buying the boat, get it inspected. The seller may have just put lipstick on a pig.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

As the others have said, not all engines have hour meters. The number of hours on an engine is interesting to know, but usually irrelevant. A 15 year old boat with low hours isn't necessarily a good thing. Whether high or low, regular maintenance and careful off season storage is more important.

I use my hour meter to keep track of oil changes and other scheduled maintenance intervals; not the total age of the boat or engine.

QC

Supreme Mariner

It almost looks like that thing has been under water. Bilge is very dirty and the valve covers have junk on them. Even a 1998 engine should be spotless in a marine application. There is no road grime or dust on the water and that's why they don't even have air cleaners. Also, whenever carpet is replaced I would want to know about the deck (floor) condition. Any soft spots and you should run, not walk, away. My .02.

With all of that said, I would not care if he flipped it, or it was a family boat. It is what it is, just need to know what is, is . . .

bustoff

Cadet

I was wondering why it looked dirty in there. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Any more pics of the bilge? A little mold is all I can ever find in mine, not that brown stuff that looks like possibly mud residue. A lot of boats that were damaged or sunk by Sandy are coming on the market. Not all will have a salvage title so be cautious.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can find out what the engine hours are, as long as you can find someone with a Rinda scan tool and the right adapters.
It can read the ignition module to get hours.

Few people buy the adapter. $50 just not worth it when that's all you can read with it is TBV hours.

The Mercruiser OEM scan tools do not have that ability.

bustoff

Cadet

Those were the only two pics I have of the engine. I considered a survey but the accredited surveyor I spoke with said a pre-purchase survey does not cover the engine.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

It almost looks like that thing has been under water. Bilge is very dirty and the valve covers have junk on them. Even a 1998 engine should be spotless in a marine application. There is no road grime or dust on the water and that's why they don't even have air cleaners. Also, whenever carpet is replaced I would want to know about the deck (floor) condition. Any soft spots and you should run, not walk, away. My .02.

With all of that said, I would not care if he flipped it, or it was a family boat. It is what it is, just need to know what is, is . . .

Define "is" .... Bill Clinton