Boat swaying when anchored

Fullspectrum

Seaman Apprentice
I'm fairly new to anchoring, don't do it much, so I did my search on here and learned quite a bit.

I have a 16 ft aluminum v-hull boat. I have a 22 lb anchor at the bow. A 15 lb (I think) in the back on a winch setup.

I want to know is that, by properly anchoring from the bow with one or two anchors (depending on water/weather conditions) should that prevent the back end of the boat to sway side to side (bow pointed into the wind/waves)...or...do I have to drop an anchor from the back to keep the back end in place?

Also, from what I've read...anchoring from the stern is a "no/no." In what conditions is it okay to do so?

Thanks!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat swaying when anchored

Anchors off bow and stern will stop your sway, as will 2 anchors off the bow in a "V" configuration. No configuration will keep your boat from some amount of movement. When wind and current direction change, your boat will take a different "set".

In close quarters with other anchored boats, you want to use the same configuration as the boats around you. If they're using a single anchor off the bow, you'll want to do the same so that all the boats swing in roughly the same arc to prevent collision. If they're anchored so they won't sway, you'd do the same so your boat doesn't swing into theirs.

Offhand, I can't think of a situation where I'd anchor solely off the stern. Too much chance of taking a wave over the stern and potentially swamping the boat. Others may have a different opinion on that.

Have fun!

scubadoo73

Seaman Apprentice

I have never in 23 years of boating have I every come across a situation in anchoring the stern only as stated above there is too much risk in taking a wave over the stern always anchor with bow into the wind or close to it

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I agree with the other posters. Stern only anchoring is dangerous. I do anchor the stern, but only in concert with a bow anchor, and for the purpose of keeping the bow facing the waves when anchored at a beach.

Fullspectrum

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies...here's another question.

So, let?s say that I want to position over specific spot. I would then have to move a few feet ahead of that spot?depending on the amount of line I must put out, and then drop the anchor at the bow. While the anchor sits on the bottom, move the boat back towards that spot that I want while feeding the proper amount of line. Once I am directly over the spot that I want, tie the line onto my boat, and drop the stern anchor if I need to. Does this sound right, if I?m looking to position my boat directly over a specific location?

If not, how would you go about positioning over a specific location with a anchor at the bow and stern?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

messed this up- see below :mad:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the replies...here's another question.

So, let?s say that I want to position over specific spot. I would then have to move a few feet ahead of that spot?depending on the amount of line I must put out, and then drop the anchor at the bow.
That's right

While the anchor sits on the bottom, move the boat back towards that spot that I want while feeding the proper amount of line. Once I am directly over the spot that I want, tie the line onto my boat, and drop the stern anchor if I need to. Does this sound right, if I?m looking to position my boat directly over a specific location?

If not, how would you go about positioning over a specific location with a anchor at the bow and stern?

I guess it depends on whether you're using fluke anchors or mushrooms? I use flukes (Danforth). If you just drop the stern anchor straight down, it won't grab. You need scope on the line. You'd want to move the boat back PAST the spot you want to straddle, then drop anchor. Now pull the boat forward again until you're directly over your spot, then tie off both lines. Again, that's with a fluke/Danforth type.

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have always anchored from the bow especially for fishing. as to cast with the wind.