boat sunk wont run 1983 Johnson 140

ramminjammin

Cadet
My boat sunk, it has a 1983 johnson 140 hp. We got it running then it just quit. It will run fine if I unplug the main wireharness connector by the powerhead( big red one) and cross the starter solinoid. As soon as i plug in the connector something clicks in the control box and kills the engine . Any help sure would be appreciated
thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: boat sunk wont run 1983 Johnson 140

does it have the kill lanyard. the problem is obviously in the control or wiring to the control. black yellow wire. seeing the boat sank the control also sank. if salt water, you are probably due new switches. is the key switched to off? that would kill it.

ramminjammin

Cadet

thanks for the help\
it does have the kill lanyard , it seems to be working, it is closed circuit when detached and open circuit when attached.
I'll double check . am pretty sure we had the key on, but will check again
it was salt water
could it be the whole ignition switch ?
thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Absolutely. Anything connected to that black/yellow wire. That wire carries 300 volts that will arc out across anything conductive...like salt water or corrosion deposits from it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are lucky it is running at all, salt water will eat all the electronics. the control is probably corrided so bad. open it up.