Boat Storage

showem

Cadet
I have a metal carport with a high ceiling 11-13' and metal sides that come half way down. I have a boat cover that covers just the cockpit area/sun pad and I also have the camping (full) enclosure. Which one would be the best to use during the winter? Thanks in advance

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat Storage

I'd pick 'none'...! Since it is already under a carport, I'd get a cheap non-custom fit cover (or even just a tarp) and store it under that. The snap in cockpit cover will work, but doesn't provide much coverage and is custom fit (ie, expensive to replace) Same goes for the camping enclosure.

Snowload isn't a concern, you just want something that isn't sealed too well but yet will keep critters and dirt out.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

^^^^^ I agree. Save those expensive covers and let a cheaper cover take the weather. One of the covers that iBoats has on sale right now would work well. Not sure how long your boat is but I'm sure it will stick out some. Just make sure to tent the cover wherever it is exposed so the water and snow rolls off.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

^^^^^ I agree. Save those expensive covers and let a cheaper cover take the weather.

Same here, I would never keep those covers on in the weather, I only put them up when I'm actually using the boat. I'm always amazed at people that put up their "standup" covers and leave it up all summer. The sun just destroys it and then there goes 2, 3, or 4,000$ depending on how big it is.

Winter cover all the way.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

How is the sun an issue under a carport?

I guess it's not. I only reccomended using the expesive covers when you are using the boat, If you want to cover up your boat to protect it from any weather, then I choose to buy a cheaper cover to protect the boat AND the expensive cover. I use the cheaper cover to trailering also.

I would rather replace a cheaper cover every 3 or 4 years and keep everything else much longer.

Also I've found that a really good universal cover can cost from 200 - 300$ here in canada. Of course you can get real cheap ones but I'm talking about one that will last a few winters. On my last boat I had a custom cover installed that fit perfectly with snap all the way around for $400. I've had it for four years and it still works great. Keeps my boat dry as a bone in any weather.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

This works for me

Very nice, but I bet that's murder on your gas millage on the highway.:)

OP was talking about a car port and I got off track by talking about using a cheaper cover instead of the "convertable tops" that are intended to protect you from sun or rain when you are on the water. Those things are expensive and I see lots of guys with boats not in use either on the water or on the trailer with these convertible tops up. I like to store them away and put a travel cover on it. If you have a hard roof, then you're way ahead of the game.

showem

Cadet

That carport is the exact same thing I have, its from TNT. Mine has the same roof except its 13' at the peak and goes down to 11' on the sides. The sides come at least half way down. Width and length 24' x 24'. I also have a camper in there. Thats why I'll stick with the factory cover that covers the boat cockpit. I had a inground pool below that carport a little over a year ago!