Boat Speed

Jefff

Cadet
As I am waiting for the delivery of my first boat, I was looking at some of the southern California waters where I plan on fishing. It looks like most of the best Bass fishing lakes (Castaic, Casitas, Silverwood and others) have a speed limit of 35 mph. I was wondering what the deal is with bass fisherman and their speedy boats. When do they get a chance to let loose. The areas where you can run a boat all out are places where you are competing with water skiers and where the fishing often isn't very good. Are the speed limits not in effect during tournaments or do the bass fisherman just ignore the speed limits. Maybe this is just a California thing and other parts of the country don't have speed limits. It just seems strange that the bass boats I have seen are meant for speed and than they are used on lakes with a 35 mph speed limit.

Ron G

Commander
Re: Boat Speed

Those must be small lakes its not uncomon to run a min of 2 miles and up to a full tank one way in some of our rivers and lakes.also some of those lakes have motor restrictions because they use it for drinking water.

blouderback

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Ron G:<br /> also some of those lakes have motor restrictions because they use it for drinking water.
And everyone knows, water from a lake that only allows 50 HP engines tastes MUCH better than from the unlimited HP lakes!

Ron G

Commander

Ya'll dont even want to know about he ones around here :D :D

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

My local lake has a 35 mph limit, but only on weekends, and probably holidays. My boat only does 35 so I don't worry about it.

KCLOST

Commander

MY lake only has a speed restriction after sundown (35mph)... Several smaller lakes around here have hp restrictions but have never heard of speed restrictions during the day on the bigger bodies of water within Kansas and Missouri...

KRS

Banned

It's to keep idiots from removing themselves from the gene pool... after all, if they were all gone then who would the water police stop?<br /><br />If you are waiting for delivery of your first boat... the last thing you should be concerned about it going fast?!<br /><br />Worry about a safety course; be able to operate your boat in pitch black without lights; be sure that you and anyone in your crew know how to launch, operate, and retrieve the boat.<br /><br />Worry about speed when you are more experienced.<br /><br />Smacking a skier or jet flea and killing them will ruin your life... that's my speech on speed.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

dangit! First they make it illegal to boat while intoxicated, and now speed limits? I sure hope this isn't another one of those California iniatives that gets copycatted by the rest of the states! We've got to nip it in the bud! If God hadn't meant for us to go 80mph, he'd never have given us the 300hp outboard!<br /><br /> :D :D :D

Jefff

Cadet

KRS - I wasn't looking for speed in a boat even though in a large body of water it makes sense to have some speed to get back to the dock at the end of the day in a reasonable time. I was just commenting on some of the Rangers sold in southern California at anglers marine with 300 hp motors. Most of the bass fishing lakes in the area have 35 mph speed limits. It just didn't make sense to me.<br /><br />The boat I'm getting is a Lund 1800 fisherman with a 150 hp motor. I'm already signed up with my wife and 15 year old son for a boat safety course next week with the coast guard auxillary. I have been obsessed since I had this crazy idea to get a boat with reading everything I can about boating and getting involved with the online forums. I plan on starting off my boating adventures slowly especially since I want to keep my expensive new toy in good shape.<br /><br />I wonder what percentage of accidents are caused by more experienced people. In many sports the more experienced people cause some of the worst accidents because they push the envelope more often, are generally over confident and often careless.

KRS

Banned

Excellent news, thank you for defending yourself (my post sounded like an attack, not my intention).<br /><br />I guess the dealers stock what sells. It still amazes me that ultra-high-end sports cars (porsche, lamborghini, NSX, etc) sell in the US, where speed limits don't allow many of those cars to exceed 3rd gear.<br /><br />I think that most accidents are caused by some combination of: bravado, fatigue, carelessness, and poor maintenance.<br /><br />Glad to hear that another boater is taking it seriously, good luck on the water! Post pictures of your first trip out!!!

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best of luck with the new Lund jefff...Nice boat! It is amazing (our)obsession for more speed,more power etc. And while bass fishing of all things?<br /><br />(Most) lakes here have a 55mph speed limit. However it is not heavily enforced yet.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My boat is just getting up on the pad at 35mph. <br /><br />When fishing, I would much rather another boat come ripping by me at 35+MPH than one that is just holding plane and throwing a massive wake.