Boat slowly stutters and eventually stalls, can start it again after 5-20 mins

Boatbuyingloser

Seaman Apprentice
1992 Maxum 2300 SCR - 5.7 Mercruiser
I bought this boat in rough condition in early summer, first time I brought it out it started first try and got about 1,000 feet away from the dock till is sputter and died, managed to restart it after letting it sit for 5 minutes and bring it back toward the dock about 200ft at 1600 RPM, rinse and repeat till I made it back to the dock. I had someone rebuild the carb, clean a clogged fuel vent line (fuel pump -> carb), replace the cap/distributor and wires and the boat ran fine for several weekends besides the fact it now bogged down between 2800-3500 and 4200-5000 rpm. Then just this past weekend I was cruising on the boat at about 3800 rpm when it started to do the exact same thing as when I bought it. I’m pretty sure it’s fuel related but I’m not sure where to look or what to look for - all mechanics are about 3-4 weeks out

Bondo

Staff member
I’m pretty sure it’s fuel related but I’m not sure where to look or what to look for - all mechanics are about 3-4 weeks out
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Remove the canister fuel filter, 'n examine it's contents in a clear vessel, for anything but clean fresh gasoline,....

Yer rebuilt carb, needs to be tuned better,....
I believe that's the issue with the upper rpms,.....

I'll move this to the Mercruiser forum for ya,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Check if your tank vent is plugged

FloatingPOSboat

Recruit
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Remove the canister fuel filter, 'n examine it's contents in a clear vessel, for anything but clean fresh gasoline,....

Yer rebuilt carb, needs to be tuned better,....
I believe that's the issue with the upper rpms,.....

I'll move this to the Mercruiser forum for ya,....
My bad I didn’t realize there was a engine repair thread, thanks