boat skips and jerks at half throttle or more

Chado339

Cadet
I bought a little boat the otherday with a chrysler 45 on it. Im not sure what year or model im guessing 74-83 it has a whie top with old school chrysler emblem in a brown gold background. Anyways I used it for the first time yesterday and it worked great no complaints plenty of power.

Today I brought it out and used it for about and hour with now porblems as i was coming in i noticed when i had it a little over half throttle to open that every oncce every 10 seconds or so it would experiance a skip or a jump in the drive, not an electrical skip or miss but it would cause the engine to bounce a little. it almost felt like would hit something but that wasnt the case as i was in 50 feet of water. I havent had a chance to tinker with it due to it being dark. However this would not do it when going slow or putting around. Im not a marine expert but would would anyone have some insight to what the problem may be or where i should start trouble shooting. Im not an outboard expert so i have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks Chad

Muqwump

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: boat skips and jerks at half throttle or more

1. How old is the gas?
2. When was the filters changed last?

Chado339

Cadet

Gas was brand new today, filter is fine... When it does that it doesn't feel or sound like it is starving for fuel...

mtfujee7084

Recruit

:eek:this is my experance with a similer problem ,motor runs good ,my problem was in the lower unit ,the clog gear is jumping over the its locks ,it sound just like you hit something ,in time it will cause magor damage ,get it soon or replace the lower unit

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it surely sounds like the clutch dog, is going out in the lower unit. requires new dog, and atleast forward gear.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This doesn't sound at all like a "discussion not involving trouble or repair."

Moving to Other Brand Outboard

Chado339

Cadet

Can you reccomend anyplace online where I could order this part. how is it to change?