Boat shows - purchasing a boat

TheKs

Recruit
I've heard that boat shows can be a good place to get a deal on a boat - and I've heard the opposite too.

Just curious, what's the general consensus on whether boat shows are a good place for purchasing a boat?

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Boat shows - purchasing a boat

If you know exactly what you want and what the prices are, you can score a good deal. But if you're not sure on either count, you're sharkbait!

tpenfield

Staff member

Keep in mind that you can probably get the same sort of deal after the show. It is not like they are giving the boats away at the shows.

emoney

Commander

For the educated consumer and savy negotiater, the deals are the same any time of the year. However, there is an advantage to Boat Shows and that's the fact there are several different Makes/Models all in one area, so it makes comparison shopping much easier. Plus, the comptetitive environment, takes some of the legwork out for the buyer. One of the best places to go to see the newest gadgets and toys, btw.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

while I've never purchased a boat at a show, I've sure come down with a severe case of new boat fever .... as noted earlier they are a great place to see a range of boats and I could see how it would be easier to play one dealer against another in finding a lower price .... fall boat shows where they are trying to reduce inventory with the new models on the way are said to be a good place to shop

Jim

southkogs

Staff member

If you know exactly what you want and what the prices are, you can score a good deal. But if you're not sure on either count, you're sharkbait!

Keep in mind that you can probably get the same sort of deal after the show. It is not like they are giving the boats away at the shows.
Tie those two ideas together and you've got a pretty good idea of the racket. There are probably a couple of REALLY good deals sitting on the show floor, and if they fit what you're lookin' for they'll be a great grab. The rest of might be a decent deal, but nothing you couldn't get at the showroom in a few weeks.

Heck, you're in Michigan ... in the state of the boat industry and the time of year it should be like pickin' lobsters from the barrel buying new.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

A couple of things - - When a manufacturer knows a boat show is comming up he will designate a particular hull for the show. That hull gets much extra attention in the manufacturing process.

As to "deals" - they are there. Dealers do not want to drag a boat home after a show. Sooo - go to the show - look & price those you are interested in and go back the last day & wheel & deal. Risk is that others will do the same and the one you want may be gone.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Best way to get a deal on a boat from a boat show is to buy one from the guy who bought it at the boat show the year before.

TheKs

Recruit

Thanks for all the insight, I feel a little better armed with what to expect!