boat set up 3 years need HELP !

gto

Seaman Apprentice
My 1979 17' sportsmaster stingray has a 470 mercruiser stern drive. it runs great even after setting up 3 years but the stearing doesn't move and the shift lever is real hard to move and it doesn't go in gear. anyone have any ideas, I would like to carry it to Florida 1 last time with out spending much money. thanks in advance.

aeronutt29

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: boat set up 3 years need HELP !

Your problem is much too dificult to repair. Best thing to do is throw the whole boat away and buy a new one. I'd be happy to help you with the disposal for a small fee :D

aeronutt29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, obviously my first reply was a joke. The real answer you are looking for may be a bit more elusive. Keeping in mind that I haven't actually seen your boat, I'm guessing that the shift linkage just needs to be lubricated. My steering system and shift lever were both very stiff this spring after sitting for just one winter. Disassembling the mechanisms, cleaning with WD-40 (perhaps not the best solvent, but it worked), liberally applying fresh grease, and reassembling took the better part of a morning. The difference was unbelievable. It works like a whole new boat now (except for the fact that the ignition system fried, but that's a whole different thread).

gto

Seaman Apprentice

from what i've been reading here if i parted out the engine i could aford a new one

aeronutt29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does your boat have mechanical steering or hydraulic?

gto

Seaman Apprentice

i can't tell where the shifter linkage goes into the lower unit can you help. I carried the boat to panama city 3 years ago and my family had a blast . just wanted to carry it back 1 last time. if it tears up i'll just leave it there. I gave $2000 for it 9 years ago and my have spent 150 on maint. most on batteries. It has mechanical steering