boat restoration wiring

mellocj

Seaman
I have a 1963 18' Seacraft that I am 'revitalizing' (not quite a complete restoration). I plan on replacing the floor, and also working on the outboard engine. But, first I at least need enough wiring to crank the motor. It is setup now to have the battery in the back of the boat, and the ignition switch is in the front with the steering wheel. That stuff seems to work fine,<br />I was able to crank the motor a little bit with a battery charger hooked up.<br /><br />I want to re-wire pretty much everything. There is an Evinrude electrical box, looks like it has a starter solenoid in it. I am thinking of using one, or maybe two lead-acid batteries, simply due to cost. Separate batteries for starting and for running accessories. <br /><br />For accessories, I'm thinking about getting a 6 or 8 circuit fuse panel/switch box. The previous owner had several switches and fuse locations, it is a rat's nest. I'd like to have a circuit for AM/FM radio, CB radio, interior lights, boat lights, cigarette lighter, and maybe someday add VHF and a bilge pump.<br /><br />I'm looking for suggestions, or maybe if there are some webpages showing what people have done when re-wiring these types of boats. I am confident enough to do automotive wiring, and can use a solder gun and heatshrink tubing. <br /><br />any pointers or website recommendations would be appreciated, thanks<br /><br />Mark

crab bait

Captain
Re: boat restoration wiring

iwould use only " TINNED " wire, only. i can only find it at marine centers.. it cost more but worth it.. regular wire wicks up that " GREEN CORRODTION " sometimes all the way up the wire.. the tinned prevents that.. not everything needs to be on it's own circut.. you can share somethings.. i think you must have a crimp sleeve connection then you may soder but you can't soley rely on a soder connection.. i am sure of this.. also i use a " a no oxidation compound on all non sodered connections like battery terms., spade connections, nut & bolt/ circle & forks , lite bulbs / trailer , everything.. you can buy it at good hardware store . ask for '' stuff for to put on aluminum wire " they'll know .. it keeps those " GREEN GREMLINS AWAY "good luck..

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

This sounds like the beginning of a journey. If the motor is an early-60s Evinrude, the box with the starter solenoid in the stern would indicate that there is no charging system. A generator was available as an option, and would require mounting of the regulator either in a box containing the starter solenoid, or in a separate box (actually could just mount separately -- not quite sure whether a new larger box was included if you went back and purchased the charging kit.) If you have a charging system, you will be charging only the starting battery (but there are options there too).<br /><br />I would go through the main wiring first. Clean and polish (sandpaper) every connection until it shines. After the main wire harness is ready to go, you can start on all the other stuff.... I would probably get impatient at that point, and go to messing with the engine before taking on the auxiliary circuits.<br /><br />interesting project.

mellocj

Seaman

Thanks, these are exactly the kind of tips I need!<br /><br />I didn't look at the mystery Evinrude electric box too closely, but I think there is a charging system of some sort. There are windings of wire I can see under the flywheel on the motor, and 4 wires that come out of it and go into a harness. Is this a generator?<br /><br />I've seen switches to go between batteries that let you choose to run off both batteries, or just one at a time. This would let the motor charge both batteries when it is running in the "Both" mode, right? <br /><br />Also, not related, but for anyone who is interested here are some pictures of my boat:<br />pictures

Kfleming99

Recruit

Wow with those pictures it sure looks like you have some work cut out for you. May I ask how you picked up this boat?

mellocj

Seaman

Kfleming, I found the boat in boattrader.. I thought it was a deal with the trailer for $600. The engine is 'supposed' to work, I plan on finding out after I re-do the electricals. It also needs a new floor, and some repair to the deck. I like projects, and I think this boat is doable for me, a complete boating newbie.