boat opinion

stepj19

Recruit
i wasnt sure what section to post this in. i am just getting into boating and am looking to purchase. i have found three boats that i like but need the opinions of more experienced boaters. my choces are

1988 16' Thunder Craft Regency 162 w/120hp in/out board

1990 19 Ft. Glassport. 350 Mercruiser

1983 Renken 16' Power Boat, Model 650, w/Volvo 270 Inboard/Outboard 4 cylinder Motor, trailer

i like the design of the first and third ones because of open bow. however i want to make the desicion based on reliability. all boats are priced very closely. so in short which boat/engine combination is better. thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: boat opinion

#1, if the outdrive is a Mercruiser, and if the QUALIFIED marine mechanic that you hire to check it over says that it (boat, motor and outdrive) are OK. Welcome to Waterworld:D!

WizeOne

Commander

Depending on what you want to do with it as to how you should choose. From my viewpoint the middle boat has three advantages over the 1st and 3rd. They are age, size and power.

Open bows are nice (I wish I had one) but many a people have bought boats and wished they were bigger and had more power. People on this very forum are always asking how the can squeeze more power out of the dinky little motors.

Why we even have one guy here who didn't like the length of his boat so he took a chainsaw to it and proceeded to add 4 or so feet to the middle of it. What a crazy guy!:eek::D

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

#1 just fine for now but you will want more later
#2 if in good shape is the perfect boat for small lakes and rivers
#3 470s scare me read up on them and it aint big enough or fast enough

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would go with the 1990 Glassport. It will have more than enough power to do what ever you want to do. The first one will have enough power in a 16 ft boat but you will want more. Not much room in a 16 ft boat. The third choice doesnt have a 470 engine that was a mercruiser thing not a volvo. Glassports are a very well built boat and very stable.

45Auto

Commander

however i want to make the desicion based on reliability

You're looking at 20 to 30 year old boats. I'd guess that you do not have a huge budget. Reliability may be hard to find unless you're willing to pay above average for a well maintained boat. Brand is going to be irrelevent, what's going to matter for reliability is how well it has been maintained and how long ago certain parts (exhaust manifolds for instance) were replaced. Get someone who KNOWS boats to look at them before you buy!

stepj19

Recruit

well unfortunatly the 350 glassport was sold.

now i have this choice to make

a 1987 baylner capri 19.5 inboard 305 chevy V8 engine. 18 foot long cobra outdirve.

or the previously listed

1988 Thunder Craft Regency 162 with mercruiser 120hp and mercruiser outdirve. 16ft

both boats are open bow. thanks for any input.

WizeOne

Commander

...well unfortunatly the 350 glassport was sold..

That fact is probably a good indication of the relative popularity of the choices you listed. I wouldn't be in a hurry. There are or will be plenty of of boats with similar specs to the Glassport. Many of them probably even with open bow seating.

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

My thoughts are that the boating season is nearly over. There will be plenty of boats to choose from in the near future. Don't be in a big hurry and when you do find one that you think you must have, have it inspected by a knowledgable source. You rather spend money in the inspection than buying a boat that you'll regret later. Just look on this forum, dozens of people this year have posted that they bought a boat to find it was junk.
A boat is an investment in fun, and it should be just that. Not a pain in the *** when you want to take it out for a day in the sun. You are doing the right thing in asking questions about which one to buy. Good Luck!