Boat not responsive

24gradyexp

Cadet
Boat is Grady White 24' Explorer weighs about 4000 plus 150 gallons of fuel. Motor is mounted on a bracket. Previous motor was Johnson 225 25" Shaft, prop was 15x17. Just mounted a 99 Mercury 250 with 30" shaft. Put motor all the way up on the highest holes. Prop is 15 1/2 x 17 Mirage II. There was not that much difference in the skeg heights between motors. Motor is in Gear but the boat barely moves @ 2000 RPM. Any Ideas? Thanks

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat not responsive

Are you sure the prop is spinning? dumb question, i know. The prop size is fine. Has the engine been sitting for awhile, does it have good compression? EFI, OPTIMAX, CARB???<br />-andy

24gradyexp

Cadet

Motor sat for about a month. It's and EFI and has no problem running or reving. It supposively has 35 hours on the rebuild. I did not check compression but it's very responsive throttle wise. Brand new lower unit with 1:75 ratio. If I put the motor in gear it is locked, forward and reverse. It spun when I put it in gear out of the water. I think I need to check if it is prop is slipping. Would the extra 2 inches down make that much of a difference? I would not think so

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

If the prop is slipping, thats a problem, but can be fixed by your local prob shop. I am not sure if the extra 2 inches is a big deal, I would think that it is. I think boats that have a 20' transom will act like dead weight with a 25' shaft engine. Maybe some of the pros can help you with that one.

24gradyexp

Cadet

That is exactly how it acts. Dead in the water. but the motor is lifted up 3 1/2 inches.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

so what you are saying is: it's as if you have a 26.5 inch shaft. I wouldn't think that 1.5 inches extra could add enough hydrostatic pressure as to cause your prop not to spin. <br /><br />Gee I really don't know. like I said hopefully the pros respond to this one.<br /><br />Check to see if your prop is slipping.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the anti-ventalation plate about even w/ the bottom of the boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Grady, Having the motor a bit deeper than it's predecessor will cause you to lose a bit of performance, say 3-5 MPH off WOT performance. Since your boat hardly moves, that is clearly not the problem. It does sound like a spun prop. Does it rev up above 2000RPM?

24gradyexp

Cadet

I can rev it but I didn't cause all it is doing is making the RPM's build and the boat does not move. That's what I was thinking if the motor was down further, lose a little top end. I'm borrowing a prop from a friend and even though it is a 21" pitch instead of 17, I'll see if the boat moves at least. Then if the boat moves, I'll get the prop re-hubbed and start from there. After the season I'll either convert it to 25" or jackup plate<br /><br />Thanks

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark the prop and hub with a permanent marker. Run the boat and check to see if mark on hub moved relative to prop.