Boat not as fast as expected?

evan420g

Cadet
I have a 1993 proline 19 footer center console that is paired with a 1983 Evinrude 140HP. The Motor still has the old 17 pitch OMC prop however it is still in fair shape no chips or warps. Under wide open throttle, the boat sits at 5500 RPM. However, my vacuum speedo says 34 mph, and my GPS says 32 mph. Why is this 140 pushing this boat so slow? I rebuilt the carbs myself when I bought the motor because my needle valve was stuck and flooding the engine. It cant be a fuel issue because of the rpms im turning right? I'm also 100% sure im running on 4 cylinders. As for compression 3 of the cylinders are an even 135 and one cylinder is a little lower at 125 ish. Can 10 psi really slow you down that much? I was told if its within 10 PSI you should still have a good running motor. None of my plugs are fouling, and they are brand new champion plugs as called for by OMC. It had mismatched plugs in it before but I changed those before taking it out on the water. Another thing I ruled out is soaked foam. I pulled my transducer out and it bone bone dry and its on the lowest spot of the hull. Im currently in the process of replacing the deck because the previous owner decided to leave unsealed screw holes in the leaning post. While I have the deck up I checked the foam, its all bone DRY. Thanks.

aspeck

Staff member
My boat is close to weight and size of yours with a similar hull design. I got 32mph out of her before changing to a stainless prop. Empty I get 36, 38 on a great day, out of her now. I would say you are in the ballpark with the aluminum prop.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That motor was the last year before prop rating so performace is comparable to a 115HP now. Need to check that cylinder with low compression as these motors have a history of spitting rings.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you want to go faster, you need more power. as indicated above, with your 1983 motor that is your crank rating. your boat should be rated at 150hp.

how fast do you want to go?

evan420g

Cadet
you want to go faster, you need more power. as indicated above, with your 1983 motor that is your crank rating. your boat should be rated at 150hp.

how fast do you want to go?
I'd like to run low 50s. A 200 is probably a good size. The boat is rated for 150 but my face plate is not on my boat. Is there any legal repercussions for going 50hp over?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???---How does a " vacuum speedo " work on this boat.----Never heard of one working on vacuum !!-----Find a shop with a test prop or dynamometer to see what power your motor is putting out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'd like to run low 50s. A 200 is probably a good size. The boat is rated for 150 but my face plate is not on my boat. Is there any legal repercussions for going 50hp over?
being over-powered means that if there is an issue (accident, etc), you may be 100% at fault. not to mention, your transom is designed for a 150hp. so the forces of the extra 50hp may simply rip it from the boat.

evan420g

Cadet
???---How does a " vacuum speedo " work on this boat.----Never heard of one working on vacuum !!-----Find a shop with a test prop or dynamometer to see what power your motor is putting out.
Might not be vacuum but its where my speedo gauge has a vacuum like line that goes to the little thing that sticks in the water.