boat naming laws?

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice
hi all, im new to this forum and boating in general. i recently bought a 17ft seasprite with 50hp johnson and trailer for $350 and after a few months of mainly asthetic repair shes ready for her first test drive, and also for her name. i was thinking S.S. ERK seeing that thats what people call me (short for eric) and i wanted to make sure that the "S.S." isnt reserved for particular boats. i was was also wondering if anyone knows what it stands for. thanx in advance for takin it easy on the newbie<br />~erk

ZmOz

Captain
Re: boat naming laws?

You can name it whatever you want...the law has nothing to do with that.

18rabbit

Captain

There are no laws regarding the naming of a 17ft seasprite. There is regarding the naming of documented vessels. Yours isn’t one of them. ;) You’re not really naming your boat, you’re decorating it. Just try not to be too rude, there are children out there. :D <br /><br />Documented vessels are required to be named, numbered, and assigned a hailing port, all of which are assigned by the USCG Vessel Documenting Center. You must ask the USCG if you ever want to change any of them…and pay the appropriate fee.<br /><br />Please get back to us and let us know what name you came up with.<br /><br />Btw, WELCOME to the board!!! :)

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice

thanx for responses! i decided agaisnt s.s. erk and i went with "robo-boat" im not really sure why but i thought it was funny lol. any ways, her first test drive is scheduled for tommarow so wish me luck! <br />~erk

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Just remember that, if you're not happy with it, it's bad luck for the same owner to change the name of his boat. Good luck! Enjoy your boat.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Well, you can change the name of your boat but it involves copious amounts of rum, (or suitable substitute) nekkid dancing girls and 55 gals. of cookin' oil.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

18rabbit

Captain

Luna Sea - as per Dave's input at that web link you offered, I am 1/3 of the way to qualifying for a power boat re-naming. :eek: