Boat motor costs

sbump26

Seaman Apprentice
Why are boat motors so expensive? For example a 10 hp motor costs about 1400-1600. A 5 hp 2 stroke costs about 700-800 or more. Don't even look at more hp that is out of range for a middle income guy that just wants to fish some. I can't see that these are so high tech that they should cost this much. Don't give me the baloney about research and development. They haven't changed that much. You can get car motors for less.

NathanY

Commander
Re: Boat motor costs

supply and demand<br /><br />because people will pay those prices

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

You need to shop around for used and get lucky. I think it is funny that an outboard motor can be so expensive and never work right. My lawnmower and snowblower never give me grief, but most of the people at the landing have a tough time getting their motors to start.

Homerr

Commander

Also toss in the fact that it's a "MARINE" engine.<br /><br />In short, that means it's passed all USA safeguards, regs etc... you know.. always looking out for OUR safety. Us little guys can't possibly do things for ourselves.<br /><br />I figure if anything is marked "marine use"... add about 40% to the price (or more).<br /><br />Albeit some marine parts do need to be special, but I agree... they don't have to be that expensive.<br /><br />H.

18rabbit

Captain

Fwiw – they are going to get more expensive … if they come from Japan. A couple of days ago the appropriate authority decided the American outboard motor industry is being hurt buy the demand for Japanese made outboard motors. Solution: impose new import tariffs on Japanese made outboard motors!!! Why stop there…includes tariffs on parts, too!!! Needs some gov’tal body to vote on it, but the legal groundwork for them to vote on the tariffs is now in place.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

No complaints about price from me. Just buy a good quality new or used and it will serve you for decades IF you take care of it. As for tarifs, why stop at motor/parts how about radios, tvs, computers, appliances, etc. Tarifs are taxes, I gag everytime I hear someone say more taxes are the solution to a "problem".

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

If paying a little more keeps me from being left out in the gulf of mexico over night, then I will pay a little more. Those motors are pretty good for the money. As for taxes/tariffs, they are used to level a playing field that should be leveled by competition. You know, who can produce the best product for the best price.

one more cast

Captain

How many 1950's-60's-70's cars,lawnmowers,whatever do you see being used on a regular basis in their original form. I do think I can not afford new outboards but they are very well made. right up there with tractors.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know, the thing that really stinks about this is that Mercury/Brunswick is the one doing the whining. The complaint is that the Japanese are selling units in the US cheaper than they are in their own country. Had it not been for this very fact, Mercury wouldn't have been able to even compete in the 4-stroke market. Until the release of the new Verado 4-strokes this year I understand that Yamaha made all the Merc 4-stroke power heads and I doubt seriously that the Verado contains only domestic components. It must have been more profitable to import rather than manufacture or they were so far behind in 4-stroke development they had to import to even have an entry. I suppose since they're all tooled up now and ready to market their "baby" they want to monopolize the market. What does Mercury propose doing for guys like me who can't handle and don't want a 200+ h.p. 4-stroke engine? They're the ones that left a 125-175 h.p. hole in their 4-stroke line-up. Am I supposed to wait and see what kind of "Black" Magic they come up with? Sorry guys, I couldn't wait.<br />JD

deofc

Seaman

like somebody else said earlier.....Supply & Demand.......it is always suppy and demand that ultimately makes prices rise and fall.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I think volume largely affects the price. This is the very reason a 6-cylinder marine engine is more expensive than an Chevy V8. <br /><br />Nobody will argue that there are WAY more Chevy V8 engines sold in the US than 150HP Mercury outboards. R&D isn't cheap, and neither is tooling costs, and these costs are fixed whether you sell a thousand engines or a million.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

All big, well most companies for that matter, are run by accountants. They know nothing about the product they are making, nor do they understand the market. They dont know the customer -- they depend on middle management for that. That would be fine if they believe mid management. Most times they dont. But they make the decisions based on the numbers in front of them. Those numbers are based on a given agenda that has to reflect a profit increase each year/quarter/month or whatever.<br /><br />If you ever sat in on one of thses meetings you would almost pass out. Its truly amazing.