boat maintence per yr

zeppellin

Cadet
im looking at buying a bay boat...24 ft. newer. probably an '03 or '04, im curious to the maintenance that you guys have had to pay per yr. Like insurance and docking fees, Repairs.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: boat maintence per yr

Dude,<br />Some of that will depend on where you live. I dock my boat for 100 per month, but from what I hear thats pretty cheap. I spend about 1-200 per year on preventative maint. including winterizing it. Also depends on if there is a warranty left and what it covers. Basically Im saying....Not enough Info.

zeppellin

Cadet

tampa area, well boat that has a hull warranty of 10yrs or so..should have 8 yrs or so left. if the boat is only a few yrs old. lets sey for good measure no warranty on engine. im talking more insurance and docking. i know minor things will occur evry yr. unless the engine blows

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

1980 15ft/outboard<br /><br />$420/yr storage<br />$70/yr ramp fees (est)<br />$60/yr insurance<br />$30/yr taxes/registration<br />$100/yr maintenance (est., not incl. modifications)<br />$500/yr gas & oil (not incl. tow vehicle)<br /><br />$1,180/yr total (less reimbursement from backseat fishermen)

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice

2001 23ft/ Chaparral bowrider<br /><br />850/season for slip<br />900/winterization/winter storage/detail(wax,wash in & out)<br />550/yr insurance<br /><br />2300/yr +gas, repairs etc.<br /><br />I leave it at the marina all year, I do not enjoy towing and lauching etc. Just more convienent for me and family. I believe I use it a lot more because of this convienence.

zeppellin

Cadet

im trying to decide weather i should leave it a marina or a just a boat storage somewhere else.

JRJ

Commander

Given your area, I think a marina would be the most fun.

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are boating in saltwater you will want to leave it where you can flush the motor and perform other maint. Also, the less distance you trailer it the better. Most of the problems I see are trailer related around here. The salt eats up trailers especially axles, springs, etc. I see a boat on the side of the road almost everyday with one wheel gone off the trailer. Consistent timely maint. is very important in the salt.

phatmanmike

Captain

im trying to decide weather i should leave it a marina or a just a boat storage somewhere else
zep, try to find a outside parking/storage area for your boat, covered is preffered. <br /><br />as for MINE,i pay 50 dollars a month with 24/7 access, and im maybe only 1.5 miles from the beach, so figure about 10-15 mins from any number of various boat ramps, with quick access to the bay OR gulf, you choose. they even supply 3 seperate waterhoses/faucets to rinse out after you trailer it back, and yes, they even supply the engine muffs too :) <br /><br />its in largo, behind a watersports store called, "watersports west" on walsingham road.<br /><br />its not covered, but its well lit and very secure. just get a cover from the dealer or west marine if you keep it outside, in the open. <br /><br />as far as keeping it AT the marina, on a lift or whatever, the prices in the tampa area are outrages. prices in the high 200's and low 300's a month just for storage , heck, thats more than the boat payment :p <br /><br />lots of marinas around here offer "on trailer" storage, wheres your only about 200 feet from the boat ramp at all times. a real popular one is "indian springs marina" they can even load/unload you boat for you if you call ahead, and have it waiting, all warmed up and waiting to go. how cool is that!?!?!<br /><br /><br />as far as your question about MAINTENENCE?<br /><br />figure a new impellar once a year( water is real sandy/salty here.<br />same with thermostats.<br /><br />if you use a good water/fuel seperator and good clean oil, your motor will love you for it! and last longer<br /><br />change the lower unit oil at same time as impellar and you should be good. 2 strokes dont really require that much, not as much as four strokes, at least.<br /><br />peace<br /><br />mikey

zeppellin

Cadet

thanks for the info...i was thinking of doing the parking type storage....much much cheaper...not about to pay 200-300 a month for a marina. thats crazy.

22trophy

Seaman

22' Trophy on trailer<br />$300/yr insurance+ vessal assist(free towing on the H20)<br />$30/yr taxes/registration<br />$150/yr boat/ engine maint<br />$100/yr trailer Maint<br />$2,000 gas oil, includes tow vehicle

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what I have read and with experience a boat will cost you $50.00 per foot per year. That doesn't include a slip or fuel. On average, some years more and some years less.<br /> Dead Eye