Boat loads crooked on all-roller trailer

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 16' SportCraft CC and an EZ Loader trailer that did not come with the boat. I adjusted the trailer to fit the boat, but we are having a problem. Every time we load, the boat loads off to one side. The only problem that I can find is that the 4 roller sets in the back are a bit stiff to pivot. Could this be causing my problem ??? I have plans to replace the pivot bolts to loosen things up, but just wondering if this is the answer.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat loads crooked on all-roller trailer

Typically, loading issues are due to backing the trailer too far into the water.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm no expert but through trial & error I have found that if I back the trailer into the water so that the rear rollers are almost under water, the boat centers itself very nicely. Any deeper and it tends to go on crooked. Boat is 15', 1983 Glassmaster, LoadRite roller trailer.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does the trailer have guide on posts on either side to help center the boat when you're loading it back on the trailer? If not, these can easily be made from PVC pipe. These make things a lot easier to get the boat on the trailer straight and could help your boat load more evenly on the trailer. Just a thought.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat doesn't have guide ons and believe me, I realize the value of them since I have had them on all my previous trailers. It's not an issue of backing too far into the water, I usually put it back so the rear set of rollers is just about submerged. Every time I load it, the boat runs to the starboard side so it is high and too far right showing little fender on that side and the top of the gunnel is low on the port side with the whole fender+ showing. I can't help but feel that the rollers that are tilting hard are causing this. The only problem that I have is a way to take the boat off the trailer to work on the trailer. I may have to get some parts and work on it at the boat ramp with the boat pulled up on shore.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had a similar problem - but no matter how straight I get my tri-hull onto my (same as Bowhuntrll's) EZ Loader with rollers, by the time I've driven a mile the boat has slid sideways a bit. I've had people roll down their windows and yell "Your boat's about to fall over!" I actually worried about that for awhile, but then realized that it wasn't going anywhere. There's no place for it to go! (Least, not sideways!) I've lived with it for 11 years...

Now, I just pull over after the boat has shifted and re-tighten the rear straps if they need it. And I let people behind me freak out. :)

Dave

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same problem. The ramp I was using was not level which caused my boat to load a little off center.

buckstop108

Seaman

I had the same problem with the last two trailers. The first was on a second hand trailer. The person who had it prior replaced on of the arms the rollers attach to with one that was three inches longer then the rest. This was an easy fix obviously. The second was on a new load rite. If any of the rollers are off this results in the boat going to one side. I measured and found the center of the trailer in the rear, took a string and pulled it from the center of the tongue to the center of the rear. I then measured from the string to each roller connection to make sure it was the exact distance from the center on each side. Never had a problem since, even on unlevel ramps, dirt ramps. The boat always finds center. As mention above, don't go too deep and let the rollers do the job. Hope this helped .

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I made a set of side rails using 4" iron channel and carpet covered, pressure treated 2 x 6, then attached them to the trailer rail with appropriate sized U-bolts. These are worth their weight in gold, not only for normal entry but cross winds and currents. I never have to touch the boat. budda bing, and she comes right up in the center of the saddle.

DSCF0033.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I HEAR YA and I know what you are going through. My 21 footer NEVER loaded onto the trailer straight and even with side guides, it still loaded tilted and always to the same side. Aggravated the hell out of me. Looks so unprofessional. I tried everything, from position of trailer in water to position of rollers under hull, to fore-aft position of hull. I measured everything about 15 times to be sure the trailer was straight and the hull was not warped. Nothing wrong with either.

Finally, I gave up and moved the rollers on the low side in a little (about 5 inches closer to the center) so they kept that side up. Rollers are crooked (not centered) on the frame but at least the boat now sits level.

Strange thing though--I had another boat on this trailer (before I sold it) and it loaded straight first time-every time. No fuss, no muss, no bother. So it's not the trailer, it's the hull

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

So it's not the trailer, it's the hull
Right. When mine was new (Glastron 19' B/R on Easy-Loader w/ rollers), it wanted to go high on 1 side. I spent several hours adjusting roller sets to come under stringers where there's less deflection.

I back the trailer in so the water is just below the wheel hubs, tie the winch cable on & crank. Sometimes the breeze blows it crooked by 45?, no matter.
As I crank, it straightens perfectly every time.