Boat Load and HP Rating

msg4bob

Cadet
Need help in understanding what is maximum "recommended" vs what is "legally" required.

Say I have a Mariner 3, that is rated for 3 people, 2hp engine, and 880lbs total weight. Bc it is a motorized boat, I will need to have a Certificate of Origin and register the boat with the state. Since the CoO has specs, does this mean I am required (legally, punishable via fines) if I exceed the CoO specs or are the specs just recommend maximum, you are on your own if you exceed them, limits? Does park rangers check and enforce fines on this?

Can I:
-equip an outboard motor that is greater than 2hp (say 3-5hp)?
-can I have 4 (or MORE) people on IF the total weight (including equipment) does NOT exceed 880 lbs?

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Boatus.org has some guidance on the posted capacities. According to BoatUS it is not a federal offense to exceed these ratings. It may be a violation of your local regulations to exceed the posted capacities of a boat. So, check with your local (state) regulations on boat capacities.

https://www.boatus.org/study-guide/boat/capacities/

The Intex Mariner 3, being basically a rubber raft . . . it might be good to stay with the rated HP of motor.

This question on a same/similar inflatable boat has come up before (just not sure how long ago). So, you might be able to find the thread to see the responses back then.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Need help in understanding what is maximum "recommended" vs what is "legally" required.

Say I have a Mariner 3, that is rated for 3 people, 2hp engine, and 880lbs total weight.
Can I:
-equip an outboard motor that is greater than 2hp (say 3-5hp)?
-can I have 4 (or MORE) people on IF the total weight (including equipment) does NOT exceed 880 lbs?
In some states in the US, simply overpowering the horsepower rating of the boat is considered reckless operation regardless of how you operate the craft &/or operate the throttle.

Typically it's # of people OR total weight is reached so 3ppl max.

Rated horsepower is rated horsepower, advice to overpower would be careless since no one knows you, your experience level nor where you plan to boat.

Boat safely

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you were ever involved in an injury accident in which you exceeded specs, your insurance co could back out of your coverage and you would be cited for negligence for exceeding mfgr recomendations. Not worth the gamble !

TheGM1217

Cadet
Ditto to what airshot said. I just repowered from a 90hp two stroke to a 90hp four stroke. I wanted to go up to 115hp. Max hp rating for my boat is 110hp. My dealer refused to sell me a 115 citing what airshot said, liability. If anything were to happen, I would be put in a very bad place.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
More than 3hp will fold your raft

In my teens/twenties I had an intex inflatable rated for 3.5 people and 3.5hp. a 3hp Eska and just me, giving it any throttle folded the boat and would almost swamp it. Even if I over-inflated it

Abandoned the outboard, used a trolling motor and a group 24 battery

The boat was donated to my buddy for his nieces/nephews shortly after.