boat listing under way....

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1998 mariah z302 with mercruiser 502mpi and bravo3

when under way the boat lists to the starboard side. trim tabs will fix the problem but want to figure this out. i've tried moving stuff around including passangers.....still lists!

if the skeg on the bottom of the bravo3 was bent or twisted would it cause a list? it looks a little tweaked, not bad in my opinion. i know theres alot of pressure on the skeg when under way.

oh, yea boat sits level when docked. trimming it up helps but dosnt eliminate the list. maybe the drive is out of alignment? looks good to the eye!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: boat listing under way....

Sounds like trim tabs would only be a band aid on the problem, you want to figure out the heart of the problem.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

a duoprop drive shouldn't really list at all. are both propellers on the drive the correct props and in excellent condition?

chiefalen

Captain

Yes but a uneven weight distribution will make it list, such as equipment, and or water trapped in the hull, or wet foam.

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if it had water in the hull, wouldnt it sit uneven at rest?

i've checked and moved equiptment around. even if i put everything i have in the boat on the port side it still lists to starboard.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

1998 mariah z302 with mercruiser 502mpi and bravo3...
if the skeg on the bottom of the bravo3 was bent or twisted would it cause a list?

Can you post a picture of your bent or twisted skeg?

I'm not sure if it's related, but on my boat with the B3, it would list sometimes while turning. I replaced the worn gimbal ring, now it doesn't list. Do you know if your gimbal ring is worn?​

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Put the drive down, center the steering then back up away 10 to 15 feet, from the drive. Then from about 3 feet high inline with the keel, take a picture of the back of the boat and post it.
Include all of the transom, and all of the drive in the picture.

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry it took so long for pic's. laptop crashed!

Attachments

• transom 1.jpg
    transom 1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • transon 2.jpg
    transon 2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

having trouble getting pic's uploaded. i'll email them if somone can upload them.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

If the steering wheel is centered that looks about right.
Just for giggles.
See if the drain plug is centered under the drive... if it is. Grab a buddy and measure with a tape from the lower corners of the hull (the outermost chines) to the center of the drain plug and see if those measurements equal.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

It's a very deep vee hull and that's normal
If your trim tabs are leaking or not working perfectly the boat will list badly.
You said the tabs correct the problem.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What we are looking for here is to see if the transom shield is a bit off centered or twisted in the cutout, which would put the drive off to one side or the other when underway and causing it to tip to that side.
It looks fairly straight and centered to me. It may just be drag from through hull fittings or transducers under the hull causing the problem, or a defect in the shape of the hull. In that case, trim tabs is about the only way to cure the problem.