Boat Listing..Could it be the Prop?

eyes4u

Seaman
I have a 150hp evinrude on the back of an 18.5' aluminum deep v fishing boat. When I am under power, the boat wants to list to port. In fact, I can actually put myself and the passenger on the starboard side, to make the boat run level. I have experimented numerous times with the adjustable skeg on the bottom of the cavitation plate numerous times and have not been able to correct the problem. The steering wheel pulls to the left, at varied amounts depending on speed. The engine came off of a bass boat, and has a high performance Raker prop on it. Is there a chance that the propellor is my problem? Thanks for the help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat Listing..Could it be the Prop?

Is there a chance that the propellor is my problem?

Ayuh,.... Probably,.... Try yer spare prop, 'n see if it gets Better...

eyes4u

Seaman

I do not have a spare prop. I need to get one. How would I find out what the correct pitch is for that motor to achieve the correct RPM, without buying 4 different props and experimenting?

Bondo

Staff member

I do not have a spare prop. I need to get one. How would I find out what the correct pitch is for that motor to achieve the correct RPM, without buying 4 different props and experimenting?

Ayuh,.... Start by reading the "Read This First" at the top of this forum,...
Then answer the questions posed there, in this thread....

jetdoctr

Cadet

funny you mention that, my boat does the exact thing (16.5', 120hp, 13.25x17 aluminum prop @4500rpm) i was playing with the idea of adding trim plates on the hull to correct but now im wondering if its a prop issue too

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I have a 150hp evinrude on the back of an 18.5' aluminum deep v fishing boat. When I am under power, the boat wants to list to port. In fact, I can actually put myself and the passenger on the starboard side, to make the boat run level. I have experimented numerous times with the adjustable skeg on the bottom of the cavitation plate numerous times and have not been able to correct the problem. The steering wheel pulls to the left, at varied amounts depending on speed. The engine came off of a bass boat, and has a high performance Raker prop on it. Is there a chance that the propellor is my problem? Thanks for the help.

Prop torque can cause a boat to lean. Get us as much info as possible.Especially prop size,wot rpm and speed.