boat lift??

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice
We are being kicked pout of our storage shed with a ramp on premises, due to progress, well anyway was able to snag the last slip at the marina down the way and it has a sling type lift. Have never used one of these and while it appears pretty straight forward just curious if there is anything I should know before putting the boat in there on Saturday.
Thanks in advance.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: boat lift??

Take a dock hand with you to go over operation of the lift. Go slow to position the boat correctly in the straps.

Wassachu

Seaman Apprentice

Do you know the weight capacity? All lifts are rated for a given weight. I had a lift in Maryland which had two Steel I Beams, two Wooden bunk beams cross axis to the I beams( Boat sat on these), two lift motors( one forward and one aft) and stainless steel cables. It was rated for 8,000 lbs. Never had any problem with it. My boat was on it year round.

salty87

Commander

if it uses cables to lift the cradle, just keep an eye on them. they can get crossed up and tangled and generally uneven. don't leave the motor running while you're busy with something else. last thing for me, check to see that the boat isn't sitting on water intakes or catching anything else.

one more...don't hit yer head on the motor...ouch!

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

thanks Y'all
checked all that you pointed out and got the gboat in yesterday. the slip is a little wider than the boat so we had to tiee to the dock and than psh it to the middle of the slip to get it straight, took acouple up and downs to get it straight think i have a plan now, but am interesteed in how the rest of you handle this to see if im messing up bad.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get you two pieces of pvc pipe. run a loop of rope thru them, (like a dog catching pole), slip to loop over a cleat, bow and stern, then you can hold the boat in place until you get it steady in the sling.

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

Ok went out again yesterday and got it in pretty easy. I think I just figured out what tashasdaddy was saying and that will help me with the fore and aft but not neccesarily getting it centered , although I may try it combined with the foot pushing method and may be ontpo something.

But on the bright side I took mom out yesterday and told her nto just sit in the back when we came in and I pretty much got it in on my own, she did grab a line cuz the bimini was up and got in my way. But now I know that if i put the top down and have a boat hook just in case I can go out alone if I want, now I prefer company when I go out biut have a month off at a time and everyone else has those damn real jobs.

tashasdaddy

i have the same problem with friends that have real jobs, wives, and kids. those other commitments just get in the way of good boating. my kids are grown, and have their own interest, family commitments and boats.

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

Ok Just thought of another question, how does anone cover their boat in the lift to keep the bird droppings off. Cant get to the boat while its on the sling as the slip is too wide, so cant figure out how to get a cover on and off.

tashasdaddy

do you have a swim platform. start you cover at the bow, and work to the stern, you may have to use a walk board from dock to platform.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

get you two pieces of pvc pipe. run a loop of rope thru them, (like a dog catching pole), slip to loop over a cleat, bow and stern, then you can hold the boat in place until you get it steady in the sling.

Dude you come up with some great ideas.