Boat launching alone

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
I have become somewhat of a pro @ this being that I rarely ever boat alone being the tha hen (wife) is just a spectator. 1. back her down into the water ( after all staps are remved and plug is in)just enough toill she rises up on her own. 2. let out some strap from winch 5 to 110 feet. 3. Jump in off trailer into or onto bow. 4.Fire her up drop trim idle her back after releasing winch strap. As for any little ones keep them with you @ all times through the whole process because the only person you can trust is yourself if the afore said HEN isn't there plus they do learn to help with the little things such as getting the lines out helping tie off and watching for fellow boater when backing out. Once you do it a few times you will see and enjoy watching novice boaters trying to attempt what you have already mastered as mentioned in the thread that initiated this one it is in fact comical and gives you the chance to offer advice that you asked for on this forum which is what it is all about. Loading is a little more challenging but it works the same you have to find your own nitch. I like to idle up to trailer after getting inline by sight and let her coast up until the bow just passes the what I call the guess line of the back of the trailer then tap the throttle to thrust it onto the runners after that just jump out clip the winch strap on and reel her in Oh yea don't forget to raise your trim believe me I have learned from experience and a few prop rebuild's a little post it on the consol does wonders for someone doing allot @ one time by himself. I hope this can be of aid to someone just getting started. This site is full of this type of info.

cadunkle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat launching alone

Thanks for the tips. I haven't gone out alone yet (just got my boat middle of last summer). It's a pain because I launch in a river and depending on the tide the current can be swift so a pain to deal with getting properly lined up and staying that way until fully secured. I am at idle or just off idle up onto the bunks and have my buddy waiting at the winch post to clip and crank the last bit. Not sure if I am just bad at recovering, if my equipment is not right, or if it's the ramp angle, but when I go deep enough for the bow to go above the roller my rear has no stability at all and I gotta pull the truck up slowly and hold the boat centered on the trailer until the stern rests pproperly on the bunks. I probably have some learning to do yet, but I'm considering guide ons since the current can make a huge difference between a fairly smooth retrieval over a few minutes to a 15-20 minutes ordeal of getting the boat sitting on the trailer properly.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I use a rope when I go alone, seems alot faster and no chance of falling in.

Unhook everything and get ready to go in the staging area, NEVER EVER on the ramp of coarse, run the rope over the tail gate leaving enough to get the boat off the trailer then up to the front of the bed then loop the rope over the side of the bed.

Just back in, when it starts coming off the trailer get out and grab the rope and guide it to the sea wall, the whole thing takes less than a minute and the key is having 2 loops of rope so it can never take it all.

I also tied a knot 5' from the end of the rope then several at about 2 feet so you can feel when you are out of rope.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I get everything ready, back into the water until I know I can push the boat off the trailer. Then I unhook the bow line, push the boat off the trailer toward the dock, then jump onboard. If I haven't pushed hard enough or the wind or current is not co-operating, I'll snag the dock with a boat hook.

Fr3AkAzOiD

Cadet

I launched my first boat, for my first time today with my wife.

Though I wanted her to hang back so I could see if I could do it solo, she was just there for 2 things.

1. Keep anything catastrophic from happening.

2. For the laughs.

Man did I make a mess of it and give plenty of people a laugh.

I wasn't sure if the boat would start right up or if the water was deep enough for the prop not to hit when I lowered it so I tried walking it from the ramp to the dock.

Yea, that got a few chuckles and I almost fell in the water twice.

Now that I know the motor will start right up I think next time will be much better.
Though I did know enough to get ready in the staging area and undo the electrical before putting it in the water and backed up the trailer pretty well.

However, retrieving the boat was a different story, without the boat on the trailer I couldn't see the trailer to know if it was backing up strait and had to get out of the car like 5 times to check.
I'm going to need to get some flags for the trailer or something.

There was a strong cross wind that kept blowing the boat sideways so it took like 3 tries to get it lined up to the trailer, though this time I only almost fell once.

All in all some valuable things that I could have researched beforehand in order to not give all the people around a good laugh but I did learn them the hard way.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I launched my first boat, for my first time today with my wife.

Though I wanted her to hang back so I could see if I could do it solo, she was just there for 2 things.

1. Keep anything catastrophic from happening.

2. For the laughs.

Man did I make a mess of it and give plenty of people a laugh.

I wasn't sure if the boat would start right up or if the water was deep enough for the prop not to hit when I lowered it so I tried walking it from the ramp to the dock.

Yea, that got a few chuckles and I almost fell in the water twice.

Now that I know the motor will start right up I think next time will be much better.
Though I did know enough to get ready in the staging area and undo the electrical before putting it in the water and backed up the trailer pretty well.

However, retrieving the boat was a different story, without the boat on the trailer I couldn't see the trailer to know if it was backing up strait and had to get out of the car like 5 times to check.
I'm going to need to get some flags for the trailer or something.

There was a strong cross wind that kept blowing the boat sideways so it took like 3 tries to get it lined up to the trailer, though this time I only almost fell once.

All in all some valuable things that I could have researched beforehand in order to not give all the people around a good laugh but I did learn them the hard way.

Next time you do a practice run try doing it on a week day when there aren't so many spectators to cheer you on. :)

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cross winds are always a pain. Put some guides on the back of the trailer. They will help you load in the cross wind and help you see where the trailer is when empty.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

My boat is 23' I like the ramps that have docks, all I do is back the boat in and get out using the step side on my pickup truck, unhook the boat.
then hop onto the dock and walk over and get into the boat and tap the reverse...so easy! My boat is 23' if there is no dock i just stand on the tailgate and climb over the bow railing.
I also have the plastic plug on a string near the hole. this way its always there.

Fr3AkAzOiD

Cadet

It was the first day it was over 75 (hit 82) and I was off work so I was taking it out reguardless.

It's ok, picked up some humility, I'll do better next time.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tie a line from the forward cleat to the winch post with the line coiled and laying on the bow (with enough line to clear the trailer). I back the trailer/boat until the rear of the boat begins to float and aburptly apply the breaks to allow the momentum to let the boat slide off the trailer. The line becomes taught when the boat clears the trailer. I then pull the trailer out of the water slowly so that the boat will land on the shore directly behind the pulled trailer. I then get out of the vehicle, untie the line from the winch post and guide the boat by walking her to the floating dock, secure her to the dock and go park the vehicle.
Getting her back on the trailer is basically the reverse. I use hip high boots to stay dry when retrieving her to get winch line to the bow eye.
Trailer guide-ons are a big help in retrieving.

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my winch might hold like 11 feet is more like it..

i'm not sure what it holds.. thats a good question.. but i plan on changing mine from rope to the seatbelt material.

i've never launched my myself but most of the time i'll have my buddy with me

roadrash

Seaman

In 2001 I was in a motorcycle acident that left me on crutches 4 18 months. I had a old MFG with just as old 50Hp merc on it. During the week day there wasnt alot of people around to help but also gave me all the time in the world 2 figure out how to get the boat in the water and the dog in the boat by myself. there was a few trips back to the docs with a little excess water retained in the casts but hell, 18 months you can figure out how to do just about anything.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Our public boat launch on lake MI has 5 launch lanes with 4 piers and costs $7 per launch or $70 for the season.
The piers seem like a helpful thing, sure will help my fat fanny wife who also does very little. The little one wants to be a big helper tho and is LEARNING. :cool:

I think I'm going to do my fist splash on a smaller inland lake at a dead time.
Lake MI's launch is very busy during the weekends in the summer along with the rest of our counties inland lake launches. Folks are ready for summer here.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I launch and recover alone without firing the motor up at all. Granted I only have a 17ft boat though. Depth is the most important thing I have found. Back in with the winch attached, safety chain in place and the plug in with motor in the full up position till the stern is just floating. get hold of rope and disconnect winch strap and safety chain, a gentle push, walk it over to the dock whatever side the current takes the boat and tie up. Back to the truck and go and park. Recovery. back trailer in to same depth I launch at, pull in on rope till winch will attach, gentle push whichever side you need to and align stern, winch in till boat is on trailer but not all the way up yet. Check alignment for centre and winch the last foot or so if O.K. If not O.K. then slack off a little, gentle push till she is barely floating and repeat. Stern guides are a definite asset but not essential with this size of boat I have found. I have a couple that I bolt to the trailer if there is a strong current. Put safety chain back on before pulling up the ramp.

ronn07

Seaman Apprentice

At my ramp we have 4 lanes but there always seems to be some idiot that is taking up two lanes.

On Fathers day, I took my son (3 y/o) out fishing. We had a great time.

There was a group of people with what looked like a new boat and truck. They were already on the ramp backing down when I got to the staging area. I got out, undid the straps, put the plug in, turned the battery on, and then got back in my truck to back the boat down.

By this time, they just got the boat started.

I squeezed in between them and the side of the ramp and out the boat in the water. Hit the parking brake, jumped out, unhooked the chain and strap, pushed her off, jumped in, started her, tied up to the dock and started trotting back to the truck.

Now they have the boat off the trailer but forgot to unhook the strap. HILARIOUS.

I get in my truck. Park it, get my son and we walk back to the dock. About a 100 yard walk, give or take. As we are walking to the dock, the guy in the boat tells me I'm an @$$hole for putting in so close to his truck and boat! I politelty told him to learn to back his trailer up and launch his boat correctly so that next time he won't be on the ramp for 20 minutes and won't be blocking people that know what the hell they are doing. His wife's jaw fell open.

My son and I hopped in the boat and had a great day on the water.

When we got back, they were trying to load the boat and that was even funnier.

People with too much money and not enough common sense make me laugh!

:D:D:D:D:D:D