Boat is stalling and primer blub sucked tight

tjgled

Cadet
I replaced all new fuel lines and primer bulb. I have new siphon pick up and new check valve too. The question I have is can a vent line collapse ? Or can't the vacuum from the carbs have the vent tube collapse?

It's a 18 ft searay bowrider with mercury 135 balckmax. I replaced everything on boat except vent tube under floor . Before I go chasing it I want to understand that it can collapse . It's probably original to boat 90s.

tjgled

Cadet
Can a vented fuel line collapse under power . My motor stalks out after running for 15min. I replaced all fuel lines siphon tube and check valve. I didn't replace vent or vent tube . When I fill the fuel spits put when it's full

tjgled

Cadet
I had tried that too. Seems like after sitting a bit it restarts and moves again

tjgled

Cadet
That's what I'm asking . The vent tube for the vent on side of boat would it collapse

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Opining the gas cap vents the tank.-----The bulb collapsing clearly indicates a blockage between the bulb and tank.----Try another bulb ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check the anti-siphon valve too.
and the tank pickup
and the vent

tjgled

Cadet
I replaced the pick up tube and anti siphon. The only thing I didn't do is vent and vent hose

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The tank is vented when you open the cap !!----Recheck your work.----This should be simple to solve !

tjgled

Cadet
Bbackwards? It only screws in one direction with barb on end. I think it's mt vent and vent hose from tank

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
is the primer bulb going the right way ? these are almost exclusively uni directional.
What about any fuel filter along the way ? also going the right flow direction ? You have a situation where the engine is starving for fuel and trying to suck against a restriction somewhere...Or a vent is blocked. I would almost certainly try to run her off a remote fuel tank, after making sure you have the flow direction (on the components that are applicable, check valve, primer bulb and any filters) correct. There is even occasionally a n/r valve on the primer bulb. That is why it is essential to have installed the right way