Boat insurance

skippers_1

Cadet
looking for boat insurance any suggestions ??

Progressive was the least cost. they had a agreed value of 4 k 250 deductible. 500 towing allowance

Us boat was twice the cost agreed value 2k and said no higher, deductible same, towing extra.

1972 Slickcraft 17 ft, I/O restored

Thanks, Rich

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Boat insurance

I've had progressive for a number of years because they were the least expensive with the best/most coverage. I haven't had an on water claim but they've been fair with other issues.

Thalasso

Commander

Try NBOA. I just shopped around for prices and they were by far the cheapest for me.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have progressive currently because they were the cheapest. I had struck a sandbar about 3 weeks about starting the policy and they took care of everything, new prop new out drive... all i did was pay the deductible. very satisfied. i have my 2 vehicles with them to.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

looking for boat insurance any suggestions ??

Progressive was the least cost. they had a agreed value of 4 k 250 deductible. 500 towing allowance

Us boat was twice the cost agreed value 2k and said no higher, deductible same, towing extra.

1972 Slickcraft 17 ft, I/O restored

Thanks, Rich

We had Progressive but went with Boat us last year as they were cheaper.

hnt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use Charter Oaks (Policy is through Ace). Great prices and knowledgeable staff. I have not had a claim however

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Been with Boat US for 5 years. They aren't the absolute cheapest, but aren't very expensive, either. Made one claim 18 months ago that they handled with no drama. I have a concern about what my renewal rates will be with Sandy and all, but don't know yet.

A month ago I tried to get a quote from NBOA. Filled out the online application for 2 boats and a trailer, and clearly stated that my 'contact preference' was e-mail (I don't like dealing with salesmen until I need to finalize a deal). I never got an e-mail, but a salesman left 2 phone messages . I didn't return the calls. Companies that won't deal with me on my terms don't get my business.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Before you jump do a Google on "problems with Progressive insurance" or similar. Last time I looked for many types of insurance they were the cheapest but for many would fight tooth and nail to pay claims.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

progressive is nearly owned by George Soros. My political beliefs do not permit supporting the company in any way. Boat US may not be the cheapest but have great customer service and claims payment history. Boat US also represents boaters in Congress. I'll put my money where it does the most good overall.

Seevee

Seaman

I just got a quote from SkiSafe, any one had experience with them?

They quoted me around $600 vs. Boat US for $1800. However, SkiSafe charges me $200 more if the boat is titled in a trust. Absolute BS, so Im still shopping.

Seevee

mguidry629

Seaman

I had State Farm on a 21' bay boat back in 2005. The premium cost was reasonable, can't remember exactly. I owned the boat for about 6 weeks when I hit a sunken pipe or something and put a hole in the bottom. Ended up sinking the boat, but was able to get to a beach so the motor never went under. Just waves crashing over the side of the boat while the boat sat on the bottom in 2' or 3' of water. State Farm totaled it, paid me more than what I paid for the boat 6 weeks prior, plus I bought back the salvage for a minimal cost and sold the salvaged boat/motor/trailer for about $3k. I ended up making money off the deal (not my original intentions, would have preferred not to have the accident at all). But they wouldn't insure my next boat, so I went to Progressive which was a little cheaper than State Farm. Never had a claim with Progressive though.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My other insurance policies are with USAA but they don't handle boat insurance anymore and referred me to Progressive. I had one claim due to hitting some underwater object with my outdrive and it was handled quickly and fairly.

oldjeep

Admiral

State Farm, because that is where the rest of my insurance is through so it is pretty cheap.