boat insurance- what's covered?

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know there was a recent post about who to go with, but my question is just what sort of coverage is expected?<br /><br />Is it "full coverage"... crash theft or fire and they'll cover it? (allegedly)<br /><br />I have contacted my agent and they say they are prepared to offer a quote as soon as I let them know my particulars.<br /><br />Also, what value do they cover? I did ok on the rebuilt engine and stuff I've purchased since, but I really paid about $1000 to $1500 more for the boat than I should have.<br />If $6000 is the real value but if I tell them $8k, should they cover me for the higher figure?

Hasbeen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: boat insurance- what's covered?

Hey, hello fellow Orygonian! Your getting the run around! They should up front give you a quote according to your use, type of boat and horsepower! Then it is up top you to decide what you want to change! Call a couple of brokers, as they usually have several places to get quotes from! I think it was farmers that was the lowest in Oregon if Im not mistaken! Could be wrong! Your choices are pretty much like a car, deductable and liability coverage! I reccomend at least 500.000 liability, (usualy starts at 100.000) and zero deduct on comprehensive, That way your covered if you hit something with your prop right from the start! whoever it was gave me a quote of $135.00 a year for my 18' bass boat with a 150 HP, That was $200.00 cheaper than the others!<br /><br />Oh, they will go by NADA if your boat is totaled and then you have to fight after that! Always keep receips for upgrades so you can prove it!<br /><br />Hasbeen

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: boat insurance- what's covered?

Mine is covered by a rider on my homeowners policy, for fire, theft, vandalism, liability. Declared value of $6000 x 1.5% = $90 per year. I had to declare a value for the motor, the trailer, and the boat/accessories.<br /><br />(no coverage for self inflicted damage to prop)